VMware Horizon Community
IP2008
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

View Security Server Concern

We have a policy whereby no iPads or Android tablets are allowed to connect to our corporate network. If we used the View app to connect externally from one of these devices via a Security Server, how exposed is the device then to our internal network? Or should I say, how exposed is our network to one of these devices?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
eeg3
Commander
Commander

Do you know what the reason for the rule is? I'd say your risk is minimal, but it still likely violates that policy (depending on how strictly enforced it is).

Blog: http://blog.eeg3.net
0 Kudos
IP2008
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It's because the devices are deemed a security risk which could compromise our network.

0 Kudos
eeg3
Commander
Commander

IP2008 wrote:

It's because the devices are deemed a security risk which could compromise our network.

What do they feel is insecure about the iPad? That's a rather generic claim. Smiley Happy If it's the fact that they're easily stolen, then anything about View is irrelevant. There is nothing inherently insecure about using View on an iPad. No data resides on the iPad, although users can choose to store their password in the View app; however, this feature is being removed in the next release.

0 Kudos
IP2008
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The world of Android and iOS is still in it’s infancy within the company with lots of unknowns. I guess where I coming from is do these devices pose any threat in terms of viruses or malicious code in very much the same way as bringing a user’s personal home PC onto the corporate network would.

0 Kudos
eeg3
Commander
Commander

Any viruses or malware on the iPad wouldn't have access to upload within the official View client, so that should not be a concern, in my opinion.

0 Kudos
IP2008
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for your input.

Anybody else have any thoughts\experiences?

0 Kudos
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert

Having worked in a medical environment the main concern there was HIPPA compliance. The biggest fear was that a physician would download patient data such as images to their iPhone or PDA and then lose that device, thus exposing the organization to HEAVY FINES. If your organization handles financial information then there are other issues as well. I suppose one's millieage may vary depending on what your company thinks is important.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Your device is only connected to the internal network via  PCOIP connection via the View app.  I wouldn't worry to much about that but my concern would be centered around the iPad being stolen.   The View client caches the credentials so if anyone had access to the iPAD they could simply connect up to a desktop and be on your network.  

0 Kudos
royberk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I work for a Healthcare company as well, with strict HIPAA policies

That being said, we have about 30 iPads circulating our ranks and are working well.

We did extensive testing with View a recognized that no information can be saved to the local device. There is also no way for a virus on the iPad/Android to propogate through the View client to your network. (not yet anyway)

I would say, as most here did, that the worst thing that can happen is the device gets stolen and a person uses the cached credentials.

Hope it helps

0 Kudos