VMware Horizon Community
Cstructure
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

View - SQL/vCenter

Hi,

I had a few questions about setting up View infrastructure...

1) Best practice to put SQL and vCenter on one server?

2) I have a VMware server infrastructure already... should I just create the view vCenter there? I was always worried about hosting vCenter on the environment it's hosting, but it would be now hosted on a separate environment..

3) How is everyone else setup up?

Thanks,

CS

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

There are a number of ways to go but from what I have seen lets look at your questions one by one:

A: This depends on how large your deployment is. I believe that if you are going to use more than 50 VMs then it is considered best to go with a separate server for SQL. The full version of SQL uses a great deal of memory.

2) I have a VMware server infrastructure already... should I just create the view vCenter there? I was always worried about hosting vCenter on the environment it's hosting, but it would be now hosted on a separate environment..

A: This is what we do. We put the virtual center server in a different environment than what is manages.

A: For small test environments I/we put the SQL database on the virtual center server. In this case then who cares? Its' a test. In the case of production we use a dedicated SQL server. Also we place the virtual center server in a separate cluster.

Hope this is helpful.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Cstructure wrote:

Hi,

I had a few questions about setting up View infrastructure...

Thanks,

CS

1:   I like to keep them on seperate servers. 

2:   Either way would work.  vCenter as a virtual machine allows you take advantage of HA

tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

There are a number of ways to go but from what I have seen lets look at your questions one by one:

A: This depends on how large your deployment is. I believe that if you are going to use more than 50 VMs then it is considered best to go with a separate server for SQL. The full version of SQL uses a great deal of memory.

A: This is what we do. We put the virtual center server in a different environment than what is manages.

A: For small test environments I/we put the SQL database on the virtual center server. In this case then who cares? Its' a test. In the case of production we use a dedicated SQL server. Also we place the virtual center server in a separate cluster.

Hope this is helpful.

0 Kudos
Cstructure
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the help.

For View Composer should I setup a 2nd SQL so that has it own SQL Server / Database?

Or should I use the existing one that I have vCenter setup for.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think your ok using the same database server for composer and vCenter.   I mean if vCenter goes down then you can't use composer anyway.