VMware Horizon Community
LeighGr
Contributor
Contributor

View Premier Add-on to Premier Bundle Upgrade bungle

The licensing guys are driving me insane!

We started a View PoC by purchasing two View Premier Add-on 10 packs. Now that everyone is amazed at how it works, we've decided to move it off onto it's own infrastructure, so we placed an order for two View Premier Add-on to View Premier Bundle Upgrade 10 packs, my understanding being that we would then get licenses for vSphere for desktops, vCenter for desktops, and the View Premier Add-on license would be upgraded to a View Premier Bundle license. Nice and simply!

Oh no.The licensing guys have given us the vSphere for desktops license, and that's it! And they tell me that is all that we get.

Has anyone else been through the same process? If so, what is the secret magic phrase that needs to be passed to them?

Of course, if the licensing guys are correct, then the marketing guys need to change all their documentation, as that indicates that the Add-on to Bundle upgrade includes the vCenter for desktops. 

The infrastructure has been built, using an evaluation license, which is about to expire.

TIA

Leigh Greyling

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
mikko201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

If I remember correctly vcenter for desktops was only included in view starter kit or 100 users packs. So you probably need that starter kit license.

regards

Mikko Suomi

LeighGr
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Mikko

You're quite correct in that the Premier Bundle Starter Kit (VU5-PR-STR-C) and Premier Bundle 100 pack (VU5-PR-100-C) include vCenter Desktop. I've been told this many times this week. But according to the View Pricing Licensing and Upgrading white paper, there are also two upgrades that include vCenter Desktop, being View Premier Add-On to Bundle Upgrade (VU5-PR-10-UG-C or VU5-PR-100-UG-C) and Thinapp Suite to 100 pack Premier Upgrade (VU5-THIN-PR-100-UG-C).

So when I'm told by the licensing guys that vCenter Desktop is not included in the Premier Add-On 10 pack (VU5-PR-A10-C) which we bought back in June, I have to agree, then explain that it's the Upgrade Bundle (VU5-PR-10-UG-C) that we ordered in October, which according to the marketing material, does include vCenter Desktop, that I'm referring to.

I've finally suceeded in making some people at VMware take notice of this bungle, and it's been escalated to Tier 2 support and Product Management, so hopefully it will be resolved this week.

Leigh.

0 Kudos
LeighGr
Contributor
Contributor

This is now becoming quite comical. The latest from Tier 2 licensing support is that we have not purchased a View Premier Bundle!

That's odd as I can see the contract for the two upgrades in my portal:

• Upgrade: VMware View 5 Premier Add-on 10 pack to VMware View 5 Premier Bundle 10 Pack.

Of the three parts of the upgrade, namely vSphere for Desktops, vCenter for Desktops and the vShield Endpoint, I've been issued a license for vSphere for Desktops.

Hmm. I wonder if the SKU wasn't bungled when it was loaded onto their system, as I see they are effectively saying we ordered VU5-PR-10-C, when in fact we ordered VU5-PR-10-UG-C, so the 'UG' part has been lost.

I've managed to get our local VMware guys to see that there is a problem, but when detailing with licensing, you tell them you bought product A, which according to the marketing material should comprise of B, C and D, and they come back and say "You did'nt buy product R, therefore you aren't entitled to X, Y and Z". Once I manage to talk to them over the phone, they then see that I'm refering to Product A, identify that there is a issue on their system, as it say product A comprises of B only.

They then escalate it to the next level, when I'm told we didn't buy product R,.....  And the whole process starts again.

The saga continues..

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks for keeping us updated on your progress.  I'm very intersted to see the final resolution. 

0 Kudos
LeighGr
Contributor
Contributor

Well, it's taken a while, but I've finally got my two vCenter for Desktops licenses.

Moral of the story: Stand your ground and fight for what you are entitled to! Obviously you can't demand something that you do not have the right to have, though that doesn't stop some people, but if you've purchased the right to use a product, make sure you get what you paid for.

Leigh.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I'm glad everything got worked out.    Sometimes it pays to be persistent. 

0 Kudos