VMware Horizon Community
thranx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

View PowerCLI - Add-ManualPool - No Option for Floating User Assignment?

Add-ManualPool -pool_id MyPoolName -displayName MyDisplayName -powerPolicy AlwaysOn -autoLogoffTime Immediately -isUserResetAllowed 1 -allowMultipleSessions 1 -vc_id "%%IDREMOVED%%" -defaultProtocol PCOIP -allowProtocolOverride 1 -id "VirtualMachine-vm-75557"

When I use the above command, my manual pool is created successfully, however, I need to create the manual pool as a floating manual pool.  Using the command above, it creates it as a dedicated pool.  I can't figure out how I can do this and there appears to be no command switch that will allow you to choose between floating and dedicated.  Has anyone figured this out previously?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mpryor
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi again. The joys of changing terminology between releases. Dedicated/Floating used to be known as Persistent/NonPersistent but this was changed in the admin UI as some customers confused it with persistent/non-persistent disk types in ESX. The option you want to use is "-Persistence NonPersistent", this is detailed in the 4.5 integration guide.

Mike

PS. I see you're using allowMultipleSessions, I assume that's because you're setting up a classroom-type environment where everyone logs in as the same user account?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
npeter
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Refer VMware View Integration Guide Page 37

use with the -poolType parameter to specify the type of a desktop pool

Manual  :Specifies a pool of manually configured floating (nonpersistent) desktops that are
managed and configured by a vCenter Server.

-noble

-nObLe
mpryor
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi again. The joys of changing terminology between releases. Dedicated/Floating used to be known as Persistent/NonPersistent but this was changed in the admin UI as some customers confused it with persistent/non-persistent disk types in ESX. The option you want to use is "-Persistence NonPersistent", this is detailed in the 4.5 integration guide.

Mike

PS. I see you're using allowMultipleSessions, I assume that's because you're setting up a classroom-type environment where everyone logs in as the same user account?

0 Kudos
thranx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

wer'e actually not logging in multiple, but view's disconnect can be quite flakey.  We'll get users that disconnect with the X on the remote bar (whatever it's called, across the top of the display) and view won't actually disconnect the session.  So there might be a kid logged on in an entirely seperate room/lab and locked out because the session is hung elsewhere.  The issues 'causes many other problems, but thankfully this flag fixes this one symptom.

I always too persistant/non-persistant to mean that the actual VM's file structure was preserved.  In a non-persistant setup, a VM would revert to it's last locked state, similar to an XP Embedded unit iwth EWF enabled.  I know that dedicated and floating have nothing to do with the disk persistance as it's a tool for VM assignment to a user.

Am I confusing my understanding of persistance?  Is this a case where in 4.0 View /ESX used the same term for different things?

Either way... I'll try both of these recommended switches and report back.

0 Kudos
mpryor
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

wer'e actually not logging in multiple, but view's disconnect can be quite flakey.  We'll get users that disconnect with the X on the remote bar (whatever it's called, across the top of the display) and view won't actually disconnect the session.  [...] but thankfully this flag fixes this one symptom.

I've never heard of that before, have you looked at the client and agent logs? You should raise a support request for such an issue.  Your workaround means that a user cannot reconnect to their existing session from a different client machine.

Am I confusing my understanding of persistance?  Is this a case where in 4.0 View /ESX used the same term for different things?

Yes, exactly. Floating/dedicated is definitely a better term as it avoids confusion but in 4.0 those were known as non-persistent and persistent pool types - not to be confused with VM disk types. [Edit: my browser does not play well with the HTML input box]

thranx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok, awesome.  Thanks for the added input.  Makes sense that they could change it.

Sadly, we've had numerous tickets open on the issue with VMWare and the response has been utter crap.  I have never dealed with them directly as we have an actual VMWare certified guy on staff that generally handles that... but it's still a problem.  I feel like I have a pretty good handle on how everything works, but the big bosses prefer him working on things.  Scripting one-to-ones and entitlements just hasn't gotten done, hence this work I'm doing. Smiley Happy  Makes things a helluva lot easier when I've got about 200 to do.

0 Kudos
thranx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fantastic.  I'm good to go.  The key there was the -persistent NonPersisent once I got that in there, my script works like a charm.  Combined with some string manipulation (we set our displayname to the same name as our thin clients so that the shortcuts on the thin client can point to %computername% and the user never has to actually select a VM) and a parameter, I'm now able to create a view connection and get it entitled with a single short command (ViewIt.ps1 -vm CompName).  Love it, works great.

My final manual pool command looks like this:

Add-ManualPool -pool_id MyPoolName -displayName MyDisplayName -persistence NonPersistent -powerPolicy AlwaysOn -autoLogoffTime Immediately -isUserResetAllowed 1 -allowMultipleSessions 1 -vc_id "%%IDREMOVED%%" -defaultProtocol PCOIP -allowProtocolOverride 1 -id "VirtualMachine-vm-75557"

0 Kudos