VMware Horizon Community
marktbreaux
Contributor
Contributor

View Persona and Windows Folder Direction

I am trying to setup View Persona in my windows 2008 r2 environment. I was reading through the deployment guide and the view admin guide to set it all up. I have everything done right in the parent vm but I was doing the group policy settings and one of them is folder redirection. The way I read the guides is that persona would take over the folder redirection so if I don't set it up in there it will over ride my settings?

I guess what I am asking is does anyone have WINDOWS folder redirection setup and switching to Vmware View Persona Management?

Thanks,

Mark

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Sergei13
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have started playing with Persona Management to compare it with Windows roaming profile.

So far , I didn't go far since I did not managed to get it to work.

Enabled to function and set the path to roming profile. Then set all the folders I wanted to see redirected and .... Some new forlders appeard in my User's directory and that's it.

I guessed from the documentation that Persona should be able to take over Windows roaming mechanism ... Not sure that it wouldn't do any damage to the profiles ??

And since this is fairly recent ... not much white papers and stuff to learn usefull tips on this technology.

And sadly, I thought this would help profil migration and switching between XP and 7 ... which is not the case Smiley Sad

So I still need to get this to work to compare it with standard windows roaming ... but not sure this is worth the shot !

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

We were using folder redirection in conjuction with our other profile solution.   During our testing and rollout of Persona I simply left folder redirection enabled via a GPO and opted not to configure it in the View Persona GPO.  I have not had any issues in doing this. 

0 Kudos
gunnarb
Expert
Expert

I've setup persona numerous times, what I normally recommend is just let standard Group Policy redirect folders (My Documents), use Persona for the stuff that WIndows Profiles doesn't handle.

Gunnar Berger

www.gunnarberger.com

Gunnar Berger http://www.gunnarberger.com http://www.endusercomputing.com
0 Kudos
neenarazdan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you have Windows folder redirection set up for a particular folder ( say My Documents) and you enable Persona Management folder redirection for "My documents", it (View PM) will take precedence over Windows FR.

Your "My Documents" will get redirected as part Persona Management policy/path set

0 Kudos