VMware Horizon Community
Trublion
Contributor
Contributor

View Persona - Users are randomely receiving a temporary profile

Hello,

First off, let me say that we have searched high and low for a solution to this problem.

We manage a small VMWare infrastructure with 25 users on a floating pool using View Persona management and have been doing so for the past 2 years. Lately though, we are having an issues that used to happen only very rarely before, where a user logs in, gets assigned a clone and gets an empty temporary profile. The user must then log off and log back on to get his actual profile.

The typical event id we see on the clones when this happens is #1509 which specifies the following:

Windows cannot copy file \\path_to_profile\ntuser.pol to location C:\users\xxx\ntuser.pol. This error may be caused by network problems or insufficient security rights. Detail - Access denied.

It is very nerving mostly because the cause cannot be identified easily. It happens to all users but completely randomly. The share on which the profiles are stored has the correct permissions and each user profile folder is created with SYSTEM, the user and Administrators. If this where a permission issue on either the share or the profiles, I believe the error should be easy to reproduce. The only thing that is constant, is the fact that it concernes the ntuser.pol file.

We thought the anti-virus, Kaspersky, was causing the issue as it wouldn't have been the first time but we have excluded all view folders from being scanned, we have also added the avp.exe process to the excluded processes (see GPO below)

Has anyone encountered this? Is it a bug? Is there a fix? Is there something I'm missing?

Our infrastructure is based on the following:

View connection server 7.0.1.3988955

View Horizon Agent 7.0.1.3989057

The VDIs are based on Windows 7 x64. We do not do any refreshes, only recompose during the week-ends to apply new updates.

GPO:

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

Thanks in advance if someone has an idea...

Cheers,

Marc

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Trublion
Contributor
Contributor

I think we finally solved it. I'm posting this for the sake of anyone running into the same issue as I can imagine we're not the only ones. We haven't yet recomposed our entire pool with the fix, only a few machines. The test is pretty simple: we do a series of logon/logoffs. Usually, after 3-4 cycles, the problem would appear. I have now done this 10 times without hitting the problem.

It was another Windows event that led me to the following article, ID 1533:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2661663

The article describes exactly our symptoms. Instead of applying the hotfix, we simply deactivated Windows indexing on c:\users for the moment.

Cael1382
Contributor
Contributor

Is this still working for you?

Just started getting complaints after upgrading to 7.0.1. Completely random when it happens as well.

0 Kudos
OldrichSrubar
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys,

we have got the same problem but with Windows Server 2012 R2 machines. Issue is completety random and only one solution is to delete profile from share and let the user log in back.

Has anyone facing same problems with temporary profiles using Persona Management in Horizon?

0 Kudos
FranklinS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have been experiencing temp profile issues as well.  I have not tried the Windows Indexing fix listed above, but I have been testing a potential fix where I have persona delete the local persona folder on log off.

The user I am testing with has not had the issue reoccur since.

0 Kudos