VMware Horizon Community
MAPABVBA
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

View Manager with Security Server in LAN

Hello,

I have some trouble with Security Server. Like other people have only black screen and after some time, I get the error message: "the connection to the remote computer has ended". But our company doesn't have DMZ. And I think it's possible to set up the Security Server in a LAN? If so, I can't get managed that...

In attachment you see our netwerk situation. Everything behind the firewall, the ipadresses has 192.168.1.x . In every installation guide or tutorial they always show the guide or tutorial for network with DMZ.

I'm really confused about this setup. Does the Security Server really need other IP-address even if the Security Server is setted up in LAN? If not, I don't get it why it won't work. Portforwarding is really good setted.

If you know something, I'll answer those question, but I really need help.

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

There may be other things wrong as well in your setup, but are you saying you still haven't done step 2 in the 3 step setup described here http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-14974

Step 2 says "On every attached Security Server, set up the “External URL” and the new "PCoIP External URL". These URLs are used by the View Clients to connect to the particular View server. These names and addresses must be resolvable and usable by the clients."

If I'm understanding you correctly you're saying you have left the Security Server "PCoIP External URL" set to the internal IP of the Security Server not the external IP (you say PCoIP External URL: internal-ip-address-to-View-Security-Server:4172). Is that what you mean?

If you set this View Security Server "PCoIP External URL"" to the internal IP address of the Security Server then when the View Client uses it to make the PCoIP connection to the Security Server you'll just get a black screen. This must be usable by the client.

Go through the 3 steps again and also, for a more detailed description look at the linked video. Also look at some other threads on this community to see how others have resolved the black screen issue by following the 3 setup steps.

I'm also not sure why you are port forwarding 4001 and 8009.

Mark.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
30 Replies
DKatman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I think you will find this situation posted about a few times here.

I believe you have an issue where you need to open up more ports on the firewwall. You are decribing the situation where the ports are not open for PCOIP through the firewall.

I am stealing the link that I have seen Mark Benson throw out there that really tells the story.

Look here:

http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-14974

Good Luck,
Dave

0 Kudos
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Dave is correct - thanks.

If you haven't done all 3 steps correctly you'll get a black screen.

Go through these 3 steps again very carefully. It doesn't matter whether you have a firewall between your Security Server and the VMs or not - it is the same process. It also doesn't matter whether you have a load balancer or not. Determine what the external IP address is for your Security Server (i.e. the IP address that can be used by your View clients to connect to it) and set this in the "External URL" and "PCoIP External URL". In my video example (starting about 18 mins in) this was 10.20.30.1 so just follow the example.

This is confusing and I've seen about 10 cases of this problem (black screen) when people have missed or incorrectly performed steps 1, 2 and 3.

Let us know which it was in you case when you've set it up.

Thanks.

Mark.

0 Kudos
MAPABVBA
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So it doesn't matter if the Security Server setted up in a LAN? Because we don't have a DMZ.

Do I still need portforwarding from Security server to Virtual Desktop if the Security Server and virtual desktops is setted up in a LAN?

I have portforwarded those ports from External to Security Server.

0 Kudos
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

It's OK that your Security Server is on the LAN. You don't need a DMZ. In that case you don't have a firewall between the Security Server and your virtual desktops. Just go through the 3 steps and when you've fixed it let us know which it was.

Mark.

0 Kudos
MAPABVBA
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did the 3 steps correctly and yet it doesn't work.

What ports do I need for VMware View?

I setted those ports open:

4443 (instead of 443 because it's already in use by Exchange 2010, and automatically mapped to 443 when it's going inside) to View Connection Server

4172 TCP to security server

4172 UDP to security server

Am I still missing some ports?

EDIT:

In attachment you see what ports I have portforwarded (note: I hided the last number from IP-address for security reasons)

0 Kudos
MAPABVBA
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

BTW: everything in LAN works fine with PCoIP.

Just only on internet doesn't work. I think it has to be with portforwarding. But I can't find the problem.

0 Kudos
DKatman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The info that PCOIP from within the LAN is helpful.

Can you explicitly set on the firewall to allow 4172 from the security server to the outside world?

So UDP 4172 from the security server to the external should be added.

What firewall are you using?

Also, I had seen someone else's post at some time saying that some firewalls (I use a Cisco ASA) have issues if you group the protocol Access Rules. He meant that I should have one for TCP 4172, a separate for UDP 4172, where as I have them all as a single Access Rule.

Good Luck,
Dave

0 Kudos
Camek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Make sure on your secuirty server the external PcoIP is set to have the "external" ip address that is exposed not the internal address being forwarded.

0 Kudos
MAPABVBA
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Everything but except the SMTP are allowed to the outside world.

We use FortiGate 50A. I'm gonna try now to make ungroup. Gotta let you know later.

EDITED:

Ungrouping didn't help.

Message was edited by: MAPABVBA

0 Kudos
MAPABVBA
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Camek, those settings are filled in with these information:

View Connection Server:

HTTPS Secure Tunnel:

The External URL: DNS-name from the WAN-IP.

PCoIP Secure Gateway:

Internal IP-address to View Connection Server (numbers)

Security Server:

HTTPS Secure Tunnel:

The External URL: DNS-name from the WAN-IP.

PCoIP Secure Gateway:

The External PCoIP is set to the WAN-IP (numbers).

I think I'm right about those settings filling in?

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you're right!

0 Kudos
MAPABVBA
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Then I really don't understand why it doesn't work...

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

when you put in the external DNS in place, if you try to login, it might be trying to access an external DNS which is not resolvable internal. can you post your error message again?

0 Kudos
MAPABVBA
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When I try to connect the client, I goes to VMware View Client, logging in with the credentials => works

I select the desktop with PCoIP and clicking connect, I only see the black screen and after few times later I get the error message: "The Connection to the remote computer ended."

See in the attachment for the screenshots

0 Kudos
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Check in the View Client logs to make sure it is attempting the PCoIP connection to the addresses and ports you expect. (i.e. to get to the Security Server).

Look at firewall logs.

Look at the Security Server logs.

The black screen indicates that the PCoIP connection is being blocked somewhere in your setup. This may be between View Client and Security Server or between Security Server and virtual desktop.

With others who have had this same problem it was either caused by a configuration error in step 1, 2 or 3. Once they'd corrected that, it all worked fine. This forum has examples of all 3 errors.

Other reasons can include a Web proxy blocking PCoIP traffic, misconfigured firewall settings on any of the firewalls involved etc.

If you still can't set this up correctly in your environment, run Wireshark on your Security Server and follow the protocol carefully based on the protocol details shown in step 3. This should allow you to find where the error is. Perhaps if you have a network admin available in your organization, they could assist with this part.

Mark.

0 Kudos
MAPABVBA
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Log from VMware View Client:

http://pastebin.com/f90k9TPC

I can't understand that, offcourse, bt maybe anyone of you can help me?

0 Kudos
MAPABVBA
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can't working with Wireshark...

Any tips how I can work with Wireshark?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
MAPABVBA
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Let me ask again this:

From external to where I need to portforward the port 443 ? Connection Server or Security Server?

And what port do I need all of this VMware View to work with that?

0 Kudos
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Your external View Clients connect to the Security Server. That's shown in all the diagrams you've looked at and is also described in detail in the video.

If you were to forward from external View Clients to your Connection server you'd end up bypassing it altogether. Not what you want.

In addition to the existing 443 in your firewall configuration, you also need to allow PCoIP. That's step 3 in the 3 steps.

0 Kudos