VMware Horizon Community
rtackett
Contributor
Contributor

View Manager Scripting?

Is there any way to script various functions used in the View Admin console? Things like adding VMs, assigning desktops, entitling users?

I've looked everywhere and either I don't know what to ask or there is nothing out there.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
andreleibovici
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The only tool avaiable is the Command-Line Tool for View Manager.

“Command‐Line Tool Usage”

“Assign Default Desktop to User”

“List User Information“

"Change User Assignment”

“Show First User to Access Desktop”

“Remove View Manager Entry”

“List Orphan Desktops”

“Configure Domain Filters”

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/view40_command_line_tool.pdf

I'm also missing APIs exposed for other functions.

Andre Leibovici

http://myvirtualcloud.net

0 Kudos
rtackett
Contributor
Contributor

So, basically, there is no way to do what I'm asking?

On a side note, it appears that there are lot of new options in View 4.x and vdmadmin that aren't there for View 3.x. One of those appears to be the ability to manage the number of domains to include/exclude. It seems like this would be something we could do in View 3.x if we modified the ADAM db directly.

0 Kudos
mgmn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is there any way to script various functions used in the View Admin

console? Things like adding VMs, assigning desktops, entitling users?

So, basically, there is no way to do what I'm asking?

</div>

Right now the scripting support is pretty lacking. But VMware discussed powershell support in View 4 at VMworld. Unfortunatly to my and I'm sure your dismay, they didn't include it in the initial release. The powershell cmdlets they talked about covered everything you are looking for. They haven't said anything solid about a release for them, but I have heard it may be in View version 4.5. I hope they come out with the powershell support soon.

0 Kudos
rtackett
Contributor
Contributor

I've got our VMware SEs on the line for this too to see if there is some non-published way to do this. If get anything back worthwhile I'll post it here.

0 Kudos