VMware Horizon Community
sm4rtins
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

View Manager 5.1 Operations not working after upgrade

Hi folks,

I'm in trouble with VMware View 5.1 after upgrading from 5.0 to 5.1, vcenter is version 5.0, composer was upgraded from 2.7 to 3.0 and all esxi hosts are in version 5.0 with the latest upgrades.

Any operation are working, recompose pools and desktops doesn't start and give no errors about, if I cancel a recompose for a desktop for example, it just shows "cancelled", and if a try again it says that the last task is still running and I can't perform a new task.I need to cancel it because it doesn't start.

In dashboard everything is green.

There's is any suggestion ?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

So it was an EMC storage issue.   I never would have guessed that but I'm glad you got it resolved.   Most importantly thanks for replying back with the resolution in case someone else runs into this problem. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have you run and reviewed all of the support bundles?    If this is an emergency then you might be better off opening a ticket with support as they can react faster than the forums.   If it's not an emergency then I'm confident someone in the forums will be able to help you out.

sm4rtins
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I already have an open ticket, and waiting for support.

I'll collect support files and verify it.

But it still and emergency :S

Thank's mittim12.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Try to look for any obvious errors and also verify that vCenter connectivity is there by seeing if power on operations work correctly.   If you have multiple brokers try logging into the admin page of each one to verify the information they are reporting is consistent.    I have seen recompose/refresh operations not kick off when there was inconsistent data between members of the replica group.

sm4rtins
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have a new information for somebody help me to solve this lol

I don't know how I haven't seen that...

vSphere components in View Administrator Dashboard are not showing esxi hosts and datastores.

I'm sure this is a very important information to solve this problem.

I have looked at some logs of vcenter, composer and view but I couln't find any erros.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Did anything on vCenter change other that the version of view compsoer?   if you log into vCenter using the username/password setup in View are you able to see vSphere host and datastores? 

0 Kudos
sm4rtins
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCenter was restored from backup, including it's database with resides in other server, after that,  view composer was upgraded to 3.0(same machine as vcenter).

View connection servers were upgraded to view 5.1 before restore vcenter and upgrade view composer.

The users configured in view admin to connect to vcenter can login with vcenter successfully and can see everything.

Maybe if I remove hosts from vcenter and add again, it could solve the problem ?

Thank's mittim12 for keep helping.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Did anything like the name or IP change during the restore process?    If you look at the dashboard and system health page of vCenter how is vCenter referenced?

0 Kudos
sm4rtins
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCenter system health in view admin dashboard is green, and the certificate is ok :
view administrator not showing esxi and datastores.jpg
But as you can see there's no datastores and esxi hosts...names and ips were untouched during and after restore and upgrades.

Expanding vcenter shows as https://vcenterd.domain.local:443

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

can you verify that the VMware VirtualCenter Management Webservices is running on vCenter.   Also you may want to try rebooting vCenter and seeing if that will help out.

0 Kudos
sm4rtins
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware VirtualCenter Management Webservices service is up and running.

I have already rebooted vcenter server(with composer), view servers and database too, but no way.Still the same situation.

Guess I'll need to do a manual process to register datastores and esxi hosts.Need to figure out how to do it.

Important Information : Events is showing a recent Warn that the module Connection Server cannot login to vcenter at address https://vcenterd.dominio.local:443/sdk

Strange because configuring vcenter on view administrator give no errors, what normaly give if there is something wrong with vcenter service or login/permissions.But vcenter is ok with provisioning enabled.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As far as I know there is no manual method of adding vSphere host and datastores.   What if you tried to remove the vCenter from View and then add it back.    

0 Kudos
sm4rtins
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The problem is that I have about 30 pools registered with this vcenter, and to remove vcenter from view is necessary remove the pools associated with that.

Big problem.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That would definitely be problematic Smiley Happy   I'm not sure what the next steps are to be completely honest.   Has support come back with anything worthwhile?   

0 Kudos
sm4rtins
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Not yet, I have a ticket open since 10/26/12 but no solution yet. =[

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This is grasping but you can try checking out this KB, http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1030996.

0 Kudos
sm4rtins
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have followed the suggested KB, but the VC_CONFIG_ID which is it says to change is already the right one in view composer DB.

0 Kudos
sm4rtins
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Bingoo!!!

After power off EMC's Storage and power on again everything works fine.

ESXi hosts and datastores now are visible from view manager dashboard.

All View Manager operations are working too.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

So it was an EMC storage issue.   I never would have guessed that but I'm glad you got it resolved.   Most importantly thanks for replying back with the resolution in case someone else runs into this problem. 

0 Kudos