VMware Horizon Community
sbrousse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

View Linked Clones Icons Freeze

Hi everyone. 

I have a bit of a dilemma.  I have just a few desktops running as linked clones, 4 to be exact. I just recently started experiencing something unusual.  The linked clone's desktop icons freeze at random times.  The icons are there but do nothing if you click on them.  The rest of the desktop works fine, and if i use the start menu i can browse the programs and launch whatever i have installed. 

If i reboot or just start explorer.exe everything works again but sure enough after some time i have the same problem. 

Any ideas on what might be causing this?  The view version is 5.2 and I am running the linked clones on a Nutanix storage device and they were created using the VAAI plugin.

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sbrousse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Totally forgot to update this.  Turns out the issue had to do with out of date vm hardware.  We updated it to vmx-09 and everything seems to be ok now.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
gmtx
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Are you redirecting the desktop folder?

0 Kudos
sbrousse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am redirecting the My Documents folder but the desktop folder is on the persistent disk.

0 Kudos
gmtx
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Anything in the event logs or View logs when this is occuring?

0 Kudos
sbrousse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The only thing I'm getting is a user profile service warning Event 1530, which according to Microsoft is related to applications still using the registry during a logout. Other than that i see no other errors in the event log. 

And frankly i don't think this one has anything to do with it, but i can't be sure.

0 Kudos
gmtx
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

If you're not getting any errors or warnings in the logs, then my next step would be to run the sysinternals process monitor and check what activity occurs when you click on one of the dead desktop icons. Is the mouse event not getting through, mouse coordinates not matching the icon positions, some other weirdness? Sorry, I really can't think of another way to troubleshoot other than with procmon, unless you have access to Windows debugging tools and can watch the Windows message queue and see whether Explorer is picking up/dispatching the mouse events properly.

One other thing... When the desktop icons aren't working, have you tried tabbing your way to the icons and then using the arrow keys to navigate to an icon and the enter key to launch it (assuming you can get the icon to grab the focus)?

Geoff

0 Kudos
sbrousse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'll give that a go and get back to you with any results.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
sbrousse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Totally forgot to update this.  Turns out the issue had to do with out of date vm hardware.  We updated it to vmx-09 and everything seems to be ok now.

0 Kudos