VMware Horizon Community
timothycw
Contributor
Contributor

View Implementation Questions

Good Morning all,

I have been tasked with putting together a design for a "net new" VMware View environment. This environment should be able to handle 75 remote users connecting concurrently over SSL VPN from any device or external location at any time. We would also like the ability to add Softphone software to the desktop image.

Can someone point me in the proper direction from an architectural standpoint? We currently are proposing the following Hardware:

HardwareQuantitySpecs
HP BL465c G74Dual 12 cores AMD Opteron @2.93ghz 98 GB RAM
HP Chassis2
EMC Vmaxnot sure of the storage requirements

1. What would be the recommended user profile management tool?
  2. Are there any specific network requirements to consider?
  3. How do we properly size the environment? How many users per CPU core is recommended?
  4. What are the storage requirements for 50-75 VDI users?
  5. Does VMware View support Softphones within the virtual desktops?
  6. Do you recommend a dedicated vCenter for the View Environment?

Thanks In advance,

Tim

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

As always the documentation is a great place to start,http://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/view_pubs.html.  Also review this site, http://myvirtualcloud.net/?page_id=1076, as it is an excellent source of information and best practices regarding VDI and View. 

1:  There are many choices.  You can use View Persona which comes with View or utilize something like Liquidware labs.

2:  Depends on some variables such as type of users and which protocol will be used.  There are several great documents available on this.

3:  Again, it depends on the type of users.   It's always best to capture data about your environment.  You can use perform or some third party tools that are available.

4:   Varies

5:   Not sure

6:   I guess it depends on the size of the environment but in most cases the answer is yes.

0 Kudos
timothycw
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you.

When you mention "Type of Users" and what Protocal will be used. I assume you mean the following:

1. Type of user = Theses will be remote users connecting to our network via ssl vpn (web browser from there home pc)
  2. Protocol = I assume you mean will they access the VDI via RDP or PCoIP. If that is the case, what is recommended.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

1:  Type of user describes the type of work they are doing which influences resources allocated.  You may have Power users, knowledge works, etc. 

2:   PCOIP is generally what provides the best performance.    

0 Kudos
timothycw
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you again for your help. You answered my questions.

0 Kudos