VMware Horizon Community
jaffa-nz
Contributor
Contributor

View Guest RAM Increase, without reprovisioning pool

Kia Ora all

As you do, scope changes and that lovely large quantity of Desktops you've provisioned don't have enough ram anymore. Bugger. Say 1gb allocated, now 2gb required!

What is a method for increasing ram without redeploying desktops to all the allocated people? i'm not so keen on reprovisioning all the allocated desktops at the moment.

Some idea's and concerns;

- changing the base image, but until i take a snapshot and assign it this won't be reflected on any newly spun desktops.

- shutting down all existing desktops and increasing the ram and powering on, but unless i do the step above, newly provisioned will get the wrong RAM

- Can I repoint the template for my pool at the newly ram modified base image and have no new deployments occur? if so how?

cheers all

0 Kudos
4 Replies
vmsf
Contributor
Contributor

Have you tried using powershell script to automate the process?

0 Kudos
jaffa-nz
Contributor
Contributor

Kia Ora

No i haven't, could you please give me an example and idea of how i'd use Power to assist my situation. i've never used it before but that would be a good starting place for me.

cheers

0 Kudos
vmsf
Contributor
Contributor

I would recommend that you start using powergui with powershell. It will make life much easier. Go to the following site:

You will need to install PowerShell, PowerGui, VIToolKit and VMware PowerPack.

All of these are free products.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

• changing the base image, but until i take a snapshot and assign it this won't be reflected on any newly spun desktops.

• shutting down all existing desktops and increasing the ram and powering on, but unless i do the step above, newly provisioned will get the wrong RAM

I think these are your two best options now, because in order to increase the RAM, the VM must be powered off.

0 Kudos