VMware Horizon Community
davmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

View Full Desktop LUN migration question

We are in a situation where the existing LUNs on the current SAN are going to be taken away and would be presented with new LUNs.

There is a View 4.6 environment out there and there isn't enough storage on local hosts to hold these View Desktops. So, I plan to manually copy the VM folders to a remote datastore. Once new LUNs are presented, I can from View Administrator remove the old LUNs and check the new LUNs. Then, I can copy the VM desktop folders back to the new LUN.

How can I ensure that View administrator understands that the desktop is now on a new LUN rather than old? I am questioning this since the VM folder was copied manually and not storage vmotion. I would prefer svmotion, but there isn't enough storage on the host/cluster to allow this. Any help?

Thanks!

3 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

If these really are full clones (please verify that) then I would remove them from View (but not remove from vCenter), copy the folders and then register the desktops in View again.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
davmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I tested a few scenarios and found this.

View Connection Manager takes information from View agent I think on where the VM is. So, I moved a full clone VDesktop via storage vMotion. The virtual desktop was powered off during svMotion. Looking at inventory in View Manager still showed the desktop's location as original LUN. As soon as I powered ON the desktop and the agent became active, the LUN info for the desktop automatically got updated.

What I was fearing is that I would need to go to adsiedit and update the database to highlight the new location. Not needed at all for full clones in View 4.6.

Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Great, thanks for reporting back!

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos