VMware Horizon Community
ncolyer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

View Desktops - CPU 100% - iexeplore.exe

We have been having a problem on our view environment for some time now. We migrated desktops over from our ESX 3.5 environment where they were working fine with Sun's SGD solution. We uninstalled their agent and put the view agent on.

ESX Hosts are at latest patch level

View is at latest patch level

The problem is basically this: Randomly desktops will freeze up and lock the CPU at 100%, no PCOIP session can happen and users are unable to reset their desktop. Someone has to manually go into vCenter and reset it from there. If we run a cpubusy.vbs script on the desktops, we can get the CPU to 100% but we don't get the same alarms that appear in the view log files.

<924> Program iexplore - Internet Explorer started, version8.00.6001.18702

<TimerService> CPU-ALARM: CPU use = 100%

As you can see we upgraded to IE8 to see if that helped but no change, this happened on 6 as well.

VMWare engineering are looking into this as well but have not been able to find anything.

It also seems like their might be some link between using Outlook Web Access which many of the users have said they were in when this happened.

I guess we're still wondering why this is happening after moving the VM's to a new Host and installing the view agent. They never froze up like this before...

Any suggestions are grealy appreciated..

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Please post your SR-number so I can look it up. Thanks

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
ncolyer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SR 1496503761

Thank you.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I have seen this too but it happens so infrequently that I never paid much attention to it. I was thinking of using something like Appsense Performance manager to restrict iexplore.exe to a certain amount of CPU. Let me know if you get to the root cause of the issue.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
lschwingler2
Contributor
Contributor

Any resolution to this? I'm having a similar issue where my virtual desktops have a single Xeon 3.2ghz virtual processor and 2gb ram and Windows XP cpu spikes to 100% on every application I open (IE, Citrix, Outlook,ect..). I like to think that is plenty of hardware to multi task simple applications. Any update is very appreciated!

0 Kudos
ncolyer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unfortunately been unable to find a solution still to this issue.

I suggest raising incidents with VMWare since they were pretty certain our incident was isolated.

So far they have been unable to recreate the error in house and it appears it may be affecting a certain version of Outlook Web Access our users are connecting to. However we have found VMs freeze with Java as well (but this is generally less frequent).

What is still a major concern is that they freeze with IE. When the users use Firefox we don't believe they are freezing.

What is more strange is that this only occured when we put View on them. We used SSGD before and the uses did not freeze up. These problems came from our migration (Sun Secure Global Desktop to View). We even tried creating fresh new build desktops after all the incidents and have had no joy.

Our current work around is to install Threadmaster and cap iexplore at 30% CPU maximum usage. Still it's no long term fix and hopefully VMWare can provide some input soon...

0 Kudos