VMware Horizon Community
ctcbod
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

View Desktop from within a View Desktop session?

Is is possible to somehow connect to another view desktop from within an existing View Desktop session?  I know you cant install the view client on a VM that already has a view agent, so just wanted to know if it's possible?

I know it's an odd request, but there may be a need in the future to connect to other departments virtual desktops from within our own view session.  I know we could just set up another connection to the other connection broker, but this would mean the users would have to log out to reconnect to the other session, which I need to try to avoid.  

Cheers     

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanielVexoe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi again ctcbod

I know have it is to be depended on others, so no hard feelings from me.

But sad you didn't come up with the answer, I could have used it! 😜

Thanks for answering anyway.

Best regards, Daniel...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can have multiple View session on different system.

But nested session, I think that are not possible.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
ctcbod
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Andre -

Do you mean two windowed simultaneous sessions?  Thay may work, but I'll be using full screen mode so need to find a way to minimise a full screen session.....

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, you could use two simultaneous sessions using the View client.  If the second session is a different pool it should work out of the box.  if it's in the same pool you might have to use the stand alone flag when opening View client though I believe stand alone flag is unsupported.

You also might want to try running a thinapp View client inside of your view session if that is the route you want to go.    it may work but would have reduced functionality.

ctcbod
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Mittim,

Thinapp sound like an interesting proposal - I will have a look at this during my pilot.  Now excuse me for being stupid, but how would I launch the second session (from another pool) when I am in full scrren mode? I need a way of gettingh back to my VDI OS, which in this case is DeTOS VDI blaster.  Every option I've seen disconnects me from the current seeion, which is no good....

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That's a valid question and I'm not sure since I've never used blaster.   We have two types of thin clients and of course it's easy with the embedded XP but i don't think it's possible with our zero client.   Maybe the thinapp route is the way to test first. 

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you point to the center top of your windows you do not see appear the View bar?

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

i used vdiblaster for sometime, as far as i know my user actually log off before connecting to another session.

0 Kudos
ctcbod
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No bar at top - Ctrl+alt+del brings up the View connection window, but you cant minimise the session as it's funning in full screen mode.  There does not seem to be much flexibility with the VDI blaster screen size settings.   I'm going to try the CCOS 2X client and see If i can get better results there.  

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Using a ThinApped version of the client is the way to go. Then you can run th client within an existing session. You will not have USB redirection etc.

WP

0 Kudos
ctcbod
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks everyone - very helpful as usual.

CCOS allows me to run simultaneous windowed sessions, but I really don't want to run in windowed mode.  I'll test running the client in Thinapp when I get that up and running.

Cheers.......

0 Kudos
DanielVexoe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So how did you testing go, ctcbod?

I'm very interested, as I have a costumer asking me if it is possible for some of their users to switch between their primary session/desktop and another session/desktop. (I might have to ad that they are all working on thin clients, Samsung NC240 to be exact.)

Best regards, Daniel…

0 Kudos
ctcbod
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I never got round to testing it in the end - I was depending on some other department's input, but it never came and pilot is now pretty much finished.  apologies.

0 Kudos
DanielVexoe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi again ctcbod

I know have it is to be depended on others, so no hard feelings from me.

But sad you didn't come up with the answer, I could have used it! 😜

Thanks for answering anyway.

Best regards, Daniel...

0 Kudos
ctcbod
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Try It - I'm fairy sure it will work and cant see any real reason why it won't.

Sorry but as a consolation, I just awarded you points for a correct answer in error!!

0 Kudos
DanielVexoe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi again ctcbod

I'd love to try it, but I can't even see how I should do a simultaneous/concurrent session!?

I'd like more to know how I'd do this, but thanks for my first points here on the community! :smileysilly:

Best regards, Daniel...

0 Kudos
ctcbod
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It really depends on whether you want a windowed client - I didn't.   With a windowed connection, you should be able to minimise the first session and launch a second session.  If you don't want it windowed, the guys were suggesting creating a View client ThinApp for your second session and running that within the first session.  Seems to make perfect sense, just did not get round to testing......

0 Kudos
DanielVexoe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi again ctcbod

Hmmm...? To be honest, I don't think it's a possibility to do a windowed session on a Samsung NC240 and thereby start a second session.

But the ThinApp’ed View Client could be a possibility that I’ll try out Monday.

… Or I’ll just have to let them do a RDP to the second desktop in question directly from their primary View session…!

Best regards, Daniel…

0 Kudos