VMware Horizon Community
Telby30
Contributor
Contributor

View Connection Server in separate cluster than Clients

We have two clusters.  One (5.5) is dedicated to our server environment and the other (new 6.0) cluster is a Horizon View VDI deployment.  I am wondering if it would cause issues if I put the view connection server in the server cluster and build the workstations and such in the Horizon cluster.

6 Replies
joshopper
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Nope that is not an issue... separating your server and desktop workloads is generally considered a best practice.

douglasarcidino
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

My policy is exactly like this. I always put my connection servers, composer, vcenter, and other supporting servers on another host or cluster. I also prefer separate vCenter servers.

If you found this reply helpful, please mark as answer VCP-DCV 4/5/6 VCP-DTM 5/6
BASIC9246
Contributor
Contributor

What about separate vCenter's, and the concern about multiple host groups having access to the same LUN?  It seems that the composer server (vcenter for vdi), needs access to the LUN with the replica disks on them, as well as the LUNs with the link clones on them, but perhaps the view connect servers don't access the LUNs directly, but mainly are responsible to sending network connection and network commands to the composer when needed, to refresh, recompose, etc ?

Thank you

Bruce

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

They are not accessed directly.

We have two vCenter environments, one dedicated to servers and the other to VDI. The PSC/VCSA, Connection Servers and Composer live in the server vCenter with no shared datastores (You should never share datastores across vCenters).

0 Kudos
BASIC9246
Contributor
Contributor

thanks Ben,

Though I am confused how you avoid access from each vCenter that way.  In my thinking, the dedicated server vCenter/cluster would need access for the horizon composer especially to make replica disks, and link clones, and then the VDI vcenter would need read access at least to the linked clone LUN at least to allow management of the linked clones themselves, DRS to balance the VM resources across the hosts in the VDI cluster/vcenter.

Anyway, I appreciate you reply again.

Thanks

Bruce

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

It's all API calls to vCenter and Composer over the network layer.

0 Kudos