VMware Horizon Community
admin
Immortal
Immortal

View Connection Server Sizing

All,

All of the documents I have found on sizing the View Connection Server suggest:

4 x vCPU's

10GB of RAM (which of course creates a 10GB pagefile)

This seems way over-provisioned for my environment (~500-1000 PCoIP users, not using Security Server/DMZ).

Does anyone know of updated guidance on sizing the View Connection Server VM?

I'd like to go with 1 vCPU and 6 GB of RAM, but I don't have anything to base that on since the docs reccomend 4 vCPU's and 10GB of RAM.

Thanks !!!

Drew

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ElevenB2003
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think a single connection manager can really only support up to 1000 concurrent connections, so I would stick with the planning and architecture guide. Generally, those recommendations come from testing and data gathered from production environments.  You could look at adding a replica server and load balance between them (Windows NLB or appliance) and give them a little less resources if you're concerned about all of your resources in 1 place.  A replica server also isn't a bad idea considering the size of your environment.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi Drew.

The vCPU and Memory recommendations are a very well researched subject and is due to a number of jvm's that are running the different components, with the numbers you are talking about I would strongly suggest to go with the recommendations.

Using Security Servers can actually offload traffic from the View brokers since they will tunnel the traffic to the desktops.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
royberk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I will third this recommendation.

Environments with ~100 -250 may be able to get away with using less resources (although I would still recommend the suggested specs) but you are running at the full rate of users per connection server and therefore recommend using the suggested values.

VMware tells da truth... its good to have these specs.

admin
Immortal
Immortal

Ok -- thanks for all of the feedback.  In the absence of something official from VMware, I guess I'll just keep it with their suggested specs.  VMware often coaches users not to over-provision VM's, so setting up a quad CPU/10GB VM seems very heavy.

I appreciate the opinions!

Drew

0 Kudos