VMware Horizon Community
iamamit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

View Connection Server, Impact to users when this server is down?

Hello Friends, I was looking for some depth understanding of queries below. If you have any idea/inputs, please help...

Question-1: View Connection Server is down, can new users connect to their VDI VMs?

1st Case: Secure Connection is Enabled

2nd Case: Secure Connection is Disabled

Question-2: View Connection Server is down, existing connections will remain connected or it will be lost?

1st Case: Secure Connection is Enabled

2nd Case: Secure Connection is Disabled

This question was posted on the expert exchange forum but there is no answer on this yet...

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
iamamit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OK, Great... Can I say it to the point like this? Am I getting it right?

Question-1: View Connection Server is down, can new users connect to their VDI VMs?

1st Case: Secure Connection is Enabled (Answer: No, new users/sessions can't connect to any VDI )

2nd Case: Secure Connection is Disabled (Answer: Yes, new connections can be established)

Question-2: View Connection Server is down, existing connections will remain connected or it will be lost?

1st Case: Secure Connection is Enabled (Answer: Users connection will be lost)

2nd Case: Secure Connection is Disabled (Answer: Users connection will not be lost)

Thanks

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
beutlern
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No, only if you have direct connect enabled on the VDI and people know their direct VM name.

They will not be impacted. Only if you are tunneling connections through the security gateway and its down as well.

0 Kudos
iamamit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OK, Great... Can I say it to the point like this? Am I getting it right?

1st Case: Secure Connection is Enabled (Answer: No, new users/sessions can't connect to any VDI )

2nd Case: Secure Connection is Disabled (Answer: Yes, new connections can be established)

1st Case: Secure Connection is Enabled (Answer: Users connection will be lost)

2nd Case: Secure Connection is Disabled (Answer: Users connection will not be lost)

Thanks

0 Kudos
beutlern
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

i'd say overall this is correct, yes.

iamamit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks..

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Might want to add, if your using the Unified Access Gateway

Documentation for VMware Unified Access Gateway

you can restart or shutdown the connection server without affecting existing users.

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

For questions-1 your 2nd case would be a no. Your users will have their endpoint (Horizon/zero/thin client) pointed to a single URL (The connection server or a load balancer). If you were to install the Horizon View Agent Direct-Connection (VADC) in addition to the Horizon Agent then the user could change the URL to point to their desktop. You would have a better user experience and be better off standing up two or more connection servers behind a load balancer.

0 Kudos