VMware Horizon Community
TVCCAlan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

View Connection Server 4.5 fills memory, stops responding

Hi all.

We've been expiermenting with View 4.5 for a few weeks now and I've come across a troubling problem. After a few days, our View clients will be unable to connect to the server. Opening the server's console shows that it is out of virtual memory and has tried to increase its allocation. In doing so, the connection server and website stop responding and the system has to be restarted (it's easier than restarting the service).

We started running the server (Server 2003 Enterprise, 32-bit) with 512 MB, increased it to 1 GB, and increased it again to 2GB. The memory usage continues to climb and the page file is almost full again. Task Manager shows nothing consuming the whole portion, but the ws_TomcatService process (VMware View Web Component service) is using about 250 MB of memory and holds the largest share of listed/consumed memory.

Does anyone have an idea as to why the memory is growing out of control? Do we need to try switching to Server 2008 64-bit (which is on our to-do list)? We can't let the server have runaway memory consumption, but we can give it a little more if we need to.

We have 23 desktops in View, no automatic deployments, and no ThinApps. We're running on vSphere 4.1 and don't use any replication between View servers (we have one per site).

Thanks!

Alan Price

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
trurodh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Alan. 2 gig is not nearly enough for the View server. For the 32 bit install, you need at least 4. We did low memory to start as well and found our clients getting disconnected as well as not being able to connect at all. Once we hit 4 gig we were good. I am not sure about the memory leak on that though, that is strange. I know tomcat has proven to be quite the pig, even in Virtual Center. We did move from 32 bit to 2008 R2 and it is a much better experience. It does recommend 10 gig of RAM and that is probably the sweet spot on the 64 bit side. Disregard all the Hi Alan messages, my machine freaked out and caused me to hit the send button 3 times!

Thanks!

Rod

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
trurodh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Alan. 2 gig is not nearly enough for the View server. For the 32 bit install, you need at least 4. We did low memory to start as well and found our clients getting disconnected as well as not being able to connect at all. Once we hit 4 gig we were good. I am not sure about the memory leak on that though, that is strange. I know tomcat has proven to be quite the pig, even in Virtual Center. We did move from 32 bit to 2008 R2 and it is a much better experience. It does recommend 10 gig of RAM and that is probably the sweet spot on the 64 bit side. Disregard all the Hi Alan messages, my machine freaked out and caused me to hit the send button 3 times!

Thanks!

Rod

0 Kudos
trurodh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Alan.

0 Kudos
trurodh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Alan.

0 Kudos
TVCCAlan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Rod.

It looks like you've got the answer. Give me a few days to test it out and I'll come back to award points. Luckily our new servers at this site have plenty of memory to spare (for now, anyway). I'll see what we can do to bump up the OS and allocation.

Thanks for the help!

Alan Price

0 Kudos
TVCCAlan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We upgraded to the 64-bit View Connection Server and everything seems to be doing just fine. Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I think it's a bug, i have had the same problem. i bumed the connection servers up to two gigs of ram, and the same thing happend. i am going to reopen my case with vmware on this one.

Stephen

0 Kudos
riki78
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

We have the same issu.

Since we have installed a replica server the all connection servers use all of the ram that are allocated to the server.

With the process explorer i have see that the ws_TomcatService.exe, ws_MessageBusService.exe and ws_TunnelService.exe use all of the ram.

I have tested withe 4 gb ram and 10gb.

With 4gb the processes use 3.5gb and with 10gb 8.5gb...

Have you found a solution with the support?

Best regards

Simon

0 Kudos
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I still have a case open with them.

however i think by bumping each win 2003 32bit vm connection broker to 4 gigs of ram i think it may have fixed the memory problem.

i was having a random problem with diffrent connection broker servers that would temporally stop working with 100% cpu on the Tomcat service. what i did to fix this problem was to turn off all of the connection broker servers and turn one on at a time untel they where all up.

Stephen

0 Kudos
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have found my problem. and the fix is VERY Simple.

edit the settings of the VM in question

Click over to the Resources Tab

Then click on Memory

Make sure the "Unlimited" is checked

you might want to check your other VM's to make sure this is also checked.

what was happening my case was it was Swapping, Compressing, Ballooning, Ram.

this is what was causing the View Connection server to stop working for a time, and then it would come back working again.

the funny thing is about this problem, i had a similar problem with the virtual windows xp machines, and i forgot about this fix.

also for some reason when i rebuilt my vCenter it lost these settings for some reason. could be a bug i don't know.

So i hope this helps anybody out that is having a problem like this.

Stephen

0 Kudos
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

oh on a side note now that i have this fixed, i brought the RAM from 4 gigs down to 2 gigs and it's working Great.

Stephen

0 Kudos
uttam_choudhary
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Facing the same issue where logging and navigating into View admin UI takes more time than expected (slow). While checking the connection server it shows that ws_tomcatservice.exe is chewing up resources. Connection server is dual core/4GB RAM vm machine.

One thing I noticed for this process is CPU priority is 8 in my case. Will raising that help? Any other idea?

0 Kudos
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

check this, edit the virtual machine settings, click the resources tab. check to make sure the CPU Resource allocation  the check box is check for unlimited. then click on Memory and also check to make sure that check box is also check for unlimited.

Stephen

0 Kudos
uttam_choudhary
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yup these are set to unlimited.

0 Kudos