VMware Horizon Community
AB11
Contributor
Contributor

View Composer uninstall / install

Hello all,

We are running Vsphere4 Update 1 and yesterday tried to upgrade to View 4.01 from View 4.

The connection server updates look to have gone well but we have problems with View Composer - when we ran the installation it seemed to do a partial uninstall of the preciouys version so we are now stuck that we cannot install and can't see any way to uninstall.

We are running WIndows 2008 and View Composer was installed on D:\Progran Files (x86)\VMware\VMwareView Composer. This file still exists but there is nothing in Add/Remove Programs for View Composerand no uninstallation file. No View composer service are available.

We have tried to install to the same folder and als to new ones but all fail - all looks to be going wel, the installer runs through, ODBC looks to be OK, we have tried using a new port or existing por.

The end point is Installation Failed: The wizard was interrupted beforeVMware Composer couldbe copletely installed. Your system has not been modified. To completeinstallation at another time, please run setup again.

I have attached a vminst.log file.

Any suggestions how to resolve this.

Many thanks

A

15 Replies
TShoun
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Your error log shows that it is not able to connect to the DSN that you are trying to use. With out being able to connect to the database, the install will fail. I would remove the OBDE and recreate it, then try again. Also ensure that when you begin the install that the existing Composier service is stopped in service manager. Often times having this service still running can cause an interrupted type error.

0 Kudos
AB11
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks,

As far as I can tell we have no VMware Composer service to stop (screen dump of section of services attached).

I have rechecked the ODBC and it looks to be OK (if we put in the wrong password intentionally it fails as expected). latest log file attached (I cant see any problem with the idbc here but then may be mistaken)

Is there any way we can completely remove the previous (half installed / uninstalled) composer installation.

Cheers

A

0 Kudos
TShoun
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This was from the first log you posted:

svm: 03/18/10 14:31:49 --- CA exec: VMValidateDbInfo

svm: 03/18/10 14:31:49 Getting Property DB_DSN = ViewComposer

svm: 03/18/10 14:31:49 Getting Property DB_USERNAME = Vcenter

svm: 03/18/10 14:31:49 Getting Property SUPPORTDIR = C:\Users\ADMINI~1.SOL\AppData\Local\Temp\2\{680FAA58-1E5C-406F-BEE6-624266441955}

svm: 03/18/10 14:31:50 ERROR: SviCfgHelper_ValidateDbConnectivity() returned value: 1

svm: 03/18/10 14:31:50 Invalid DSN name.

svm: 03/18/10 14:31:50 Getting Property UILevel = 5

Note the invalid DSN name.

You can use SQL studio expess to access the database and either confirm connectivity, or delete the database so that you can use a fresh one. Deleteing the composer database and the composer folder under the program files directory is probably about as clean an install as your going to get.

0 Kudos
TShoun
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Another things is, I don't know is you are using custom SSL certificates, but some times they can cause install issues as well.

0 Kudos
AB11
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for your swift reply - I ' m really confused here.

We have two vmware 4 SQL databases at the moment - vcenter4 and viewcomposer4 - I appreciate that over the etha you aren;t really in a position to comment but vcenter4 has tables named VCI_ and viewcomposer4 tables named SVI_

I take it that if I create another SQL database say viewcompose4.1, do the ODBC stuff etc then that should work - I don't need to create another vcenter4 database?

Many thanks

A

0 Kudos
AB11
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, we have tried using bothdefault SSL certificate and existing SSL certificate

Beyond the fact that it won't install I suppose my biggest worry is why I still have the a ViewCOmposer folder but nothing in add remove programs to remove and no services to stop.

Thanks

Alison

0 Kudos
AB11
Contributor
Contributor

Hello again,

I'm still not making any head way with this - we have created a new SQL database, new ODBC set up - I got 'the database cannot be found or a connection cannot be established' error.

I have tried doing the resolution at http://communities.vmware.com/message/1426829 but the installation just works through to finish without actually installing anything. I ahev attached the latest log file

Any suggestions?

thanks

Alison

0 Kudos
AB11
Contributor
Contributor

oops - log file attached to this one:

Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
TShoun
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Actually you are correct, the composer data base by default is created in the same SQL instance as VCenter. What i was saying was to try deleteing the Composer database in that instance. Have you tried using the sa credentials for the instance when installing composer?

0 Kudos
AB11
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks,

I have tried the sa account to no avail. Having messed about with ODBC yesteday I managed to knock the connection to the Vcenter off so have been trying to rectify that this morning. I think that I will need to uninstall and reinstall Vcenter before I look at the View Compose - just what I want on a Friday afternoon!

Any suggestions on doing this?

Cheers

A

0 Kudos
AB11
Contributor
Contributor

Hello all,,

V center now fixed and I'm back on with Vcompose.....

I have run the installation from msiexec (output file attacehd) and it lookt ro run through to checking the PorInfo with a return value of 3. I cant see anything on the www about this.

I will go along with there being something up with ODBC - have been using the odbc in C:\Windows\System32 - I have created a driver native in C:\Windows\SYSWOW64 but get 'the database cannot be found or a connection cannot be established ..... when I try to use it. the odbc in system32 does run through to the next page but that reports the interruption and nothing is installed.

Can someone please let me know exactly which ODBC I should be using, and how it should be configured.

Many thanks

A

0 Kudos
TShoun
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

DId you follow the instructions as outlined in the Admin guide by going to start, admin tools, data sources, then going to the system dsn tab, clicking add and selecting the VCenter SQL instance, supply credentials, then changing the default database to the Composer database in that instance? After following those steps, test the connection at the end of the wizard. if using this method, you should not have to go into the windows directory.

AB11
Contributor
Contributor

We did a complete re-install.

0 Kudos
iben
Contributor
Contributor

We had this problem and solved it by searching the registry for 18443 and deleting that key.

Platform was Windows 2008 R2 64 bit.

View 4 Composer does indeed use the 64 bit dsn and SQL Native Client 10.

I b e n

+14087824726

IM info:

ibenrodriguez - yahoo

iben.rodriguez - gmail

ibenr - aol

ibenrodriguez - skype

Follow me on http://twitter.com/iben

http://communities.vmware.com/people/iben

I b e n +14087824726 IM info: ibenrodriguez - yahoo iben.rodriguez - gmail ibenr - aol ibenrodriguez - skype Follow me on http://twitter.com/iben http://communities.vmware.com/people/iben
0 Kudos
Daisukey1380
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I saw the same error and resolved by using a System DSN (as TShoun mentioned at 2010/03/23 7:10).

system_dsn.png

I had been seeing the error with User DSN,,

Though this thread is opened 9 yeas ago, if anyone see the same symptom, checking DSN types could be helpful..

Regards

0 Kudos