VMware Horizon Community
a_galassi
Contributor
Contributor

View Composer proxy issue

I have a problem with my View Composer deployment. I have a 2 servers:

- one running Virtual Center with View Composer service active

- one running View Connection Server

Everything is working fine except when I try to activate View Composer I get the error "The View Composer Server was not able to connect to the VirtualCenter server. View Composer uses the proxy server from Internet Explore. Check the Internet Explorer proxy settings on the View Composer Server". Both Internet Explores on the servers are configured without proxy.

Thanks

Alessandro Galassi

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The most issue I've seen with that is name resolution.

a_galassi
Contributor
Contributor

The name resolution is ok. There must be something else.

Alessandro

0 Kudos
a_galassi
Contributor
Contributor

Probelm half-fixed. For a reason I can't explain, the composer server was using the proxy server even if IE setting was not checked (I can tell this for sure since I have monitored the proxy). The proxy was SQUID, and it used a different DNS server than the one used by the Composer, Virtual Center and View servers. I just wrote those 2 server names in that DNS and the issue was half-fixed. Hal-fixed: indeed, now I have my Composer feature enabled and can start creating linked-clone based dekstop pool, but the wizard ends up with an error stating the "View Composer was unable to contact VirtualCenter server because of a network error or because the server is down"

Thanks

Alessandro

0 Kudos
HansLa
Contributor
Contributor

We also get The View Composer Server was not able to connect to the VirtualCenter server.What do you mean ??

Squid is that buildt in Composer Service ?

0 Kudos
a_galassi
Contributor
Contributor

The squid proxy is an independent server, acting as a http proxy for the whole organization, and has noting to do with the Composer

Alessandro

0 Kudos
HansLa
Contributor
Contributor

I get this error "The View Composer Server was not able to connect to the VirtualCenter server. View Composer uses the proxy server from Internet Explore. Check the Internet Explorer proxy settings on the View Composer Server". even if IE setting is not use of Proxy Settings.We dont dont dont have any need to use PROXY server in our Servers !!

What do you mean Probelm half-fixed. For a reason I can't explain, the composer server was using the proxy server ??

best regards Hans

0 Kudos
a_galassi
Contributor
Contributor

Hans, the error you are reporting, "The View Composer Server was not able to connect to the VirtualCenter server. View Composer uses the proxy server from Internet Explore. Check the Internet Explorer proxy settings on the View Composer Server", is the same I have fixed the way I reported in my Feb 10 3:24 AM post, and this is the first half of the problem.

As result, I have this configuration:

server A: composer and Virtual Center

Server B: View Connection Server

Server C: proxy server

Both A and B has no proxy setting in IE, C has A and B DNS resolution.

Yet I have an issue with this configuration, as I reported in my post: now I can start creating a linked-clone based desktop pool (before I was denied since the composer was not enabled), but the last step of the wizard report the error "View Composer was unable to contact VirtualCenter server because of a network error or because the server is down", and fails.

Alessandro

0 Kudos
HansLa
Contributor
Contributor

The error Problems with "The View Composer Server was not able to connect to the VirtualCenter server. View Composer uses the proxy server from Internet Explore. Check the Internet Explorer proxy settings on the View Composer Server

Is Working now We found some trace of proxy settings in registry in VirtualCenter server

Look under registry key found that Composer Service is use this settings

even if you change the IE settings with Administrator in console You have to also change in registry (Can VMware tell why ??)

"HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings"

"ProxyEnable"=dword:00000001

"ProxyServer"="proxy:8080"

And under: "HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Connections"

"DefaultConnectionSettings"=hex:3c,00,00,00,06,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,0a,00,00,\

00,70,72,6f,78,79,3a,38,30,38,30,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,\

00,00,10,dc,60,97,ff,c9,c8,01,01,00,00,00,ac,1d,23,b1,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,\

0 Kudos
nkrick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had the same error but the cause was completely different. I upgraded from VI3 to vSphere 4 by migrating to a new 64-bit server (Windows 2008 R2 x64). In order to install View Composer 2, I had to run the install in compatibility mode for Windows 2008 SP1. Once the install was done, I encoutered the same "proxy error" mentioned in this thread. By looking through the View Composer logs (%allusersprofile%\VMware\View Composer\Logs\vmware-viewcomposer.txt) I saw errors with the old VirtualCenter name in the path still.

Solution:

I opened the ViewComposer Database (on SQL2005 in my case) and found a table named dbo.SVI_VC_CONFIG_ENTRY. I performed a SELECT * on this DB and found the old VC server name was still listed. I then replaced the old server name with the new servername and everything has worked fine since. Here is the SQL command I ran, you will have to replace variables (between $$ signs) with information for your evironment:

UPDATE [$DATABASENAME$].[dbo].[SVI_VC_CONFIG_ENTRY]
SET [SERVICE_ENDPOINT] = 'https://$URL_OF_NEW_VC_SERVER$:443/sdk'
WHERE [SERVICE_ENDPOINT] = 'https://$URL_OF_OLD_VC_SERVER$:443/sdk'

0 Kudos