VMware Horizon Community
itcvm
Contributor
Contributor

View Composer hangs during install at ODBC config

I am having an issue with the install of View Composer hanging agter I put in the ODBC info. I am installing on the vCenter server (4GB Ram, Quad core processor, and 15K scsi drives). I have created the Database on the same SQL Express instance that vCenter is installed to (on the local box), and the ODBC connection test perfect. I let the install sit for two days to see if it would complete. Any ideas? TIA

Larry

0 Kudos
9 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

is there maybe a dialog window open in the background? Just try to move the windows around...

Chris

0 Kudos
mbrkic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I am seenig the same thing, with an SQL database on a separate server. Once again, the ODBC tests fine, but the install just 'hour-glasses' at the Database Information window, once you click next.

Cheers

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Make sure the user you are using has administrative privaleges to that specific database. For example if you use 'sa' will the install work? Or are you using windows authentication? In that case make sure your windows domain based user has the proper permissions to have full control of that database.

One other thing: If you're doing a POC SQL Express is ok for the time being, but if you're planning on putting the setup in production make sure to use a full copy of MSSQL.

0 Kudos
mbrkic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I finally got this to work, by changing the password for the DB user used in to connect to the database. It used to have special characters (nothing fancy, just brackets) and that seemed to break the installer.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I finally got this to work, by changing the password for the DB user used in to connect to the database. It used to have special characters (nothing fancy, just brackets) and that seemed to break the installer.

Would you mind sharing the character that stumped the installer?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Also what view version and view composer version/build are you using?

0 Kudos
mbrkic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Sure, no problem... The whole password was enclosed in

The installers are:

VMware-viewcomposer-2.0.0-210930.exe

VMware-viewconnectionserver-4.0.0-210939.exe

0 Kudos
Metafore
Contributor
Contributor

I found that if the password had a ; (semi-colon) in it the installation process also hung.

VMware please start testing your software with complex passwords. Virtual Center 3.x wouldn't install with a complex password.

0 Kudos
bchris999
Contributor
Contributor

Just tried installing View 6 and this is still an issue. Complex passwords like { and % seem to hang the Composer installer. Changing the password to remove special characters fixes it.

I can find nothing in the documentation regarding password requirements for Composer.

0 Kudos