VMware Horizon Community
rvb
Contributor
Contributor

View Composer agent initialization state error (2): Failed to redirect profiles directory (waited 0 seconds)

User Profiles on my linked clones desktop (XP SP2) are not redirected to data disk D.

See error above.

Profiles remain on drive C:\ and are lost if operating system disk is recomposed from master image

0 Kudos
40 Replies
tomski
Contributor
Contributor

i think it depends on software you use.. we use scantuary device control and cisco tsp, with theese two you get problems...

0 Kudos
ericgc
Contributor
Contributor

I am actually on 4.0.1 and am having this issue. Has there been any resolution of fix for this?

0 Kudos
ntldr
Contributor
Contributor

Also having this issue in 4.0.1...

0 Kudos
mpulsfort
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I also having this issue in 4.0.1

0 Kudos
alelondon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Having this issue on 4.0.1 vSphere mode! Call logged...

0 Kudos
ericgc
Contributor
Contributor

Curious to see the resolution to this. One of my workarounds was I put the UDD on the same storage as the OS. I still made it a separate drive but I noticed when I used different storage I would get these errors. Since I did that I have not seen the error once.

0 Kudos
ntldr
Contributor
Contributor

I've tried moving the UDDs around with no luck.

Support case opened.

0 Kudos
fpantazis
Contributor
Contributor

same thing with my installation and view 4.0.1 ....

0 Kudos
alelondon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Resolved my issue. Not sure if anyone else does this but I thought I'd share in case anyone is doing the same thing.

The recompose/new pool process in our case is:

1 - Create template with 2 disks (C and D drives) and set Windows pagefile to go on the D drive.

2 - Shut machine down. So, as far as Windows is concerned it has 2 disks.

3 - Whilst the VM is powered off, remove 2nd disk from the VM, tricking Windows Smiley Wink

4 - Take the Snapshot that View composer will use to deploy/recompose VMs from

This means that when the composer adds the UDD, Windows thinks it still has the 2nd disk we added earlier and puts the pagefile.sys onto what is now the UDD (D drive). The pagefile in our case is 1.5GB (i know... but we need it actually)

The reason I was getting the error "failed to redirect profiles directory" was because I hadn't done Step 3. So I had taken the final snapshot with 2 disks attached to the VM.

Hope this helps

0 Kudos
s1xth
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I am having this exact same problem in a LAB testing environment running W7 and View 4.0.1. This seems to only happen with W7 VM's at this time, I havent had it happen to WinXP VM's. Guess I will have to log a call with VMware support....not going to help much though.

Blog: www.virtualizationbuster.com

Twitter: s1xth

http://www.virtualizationimpact.com http://www.handsonvirtualization.com Twitter: @jfranconi
0 Kudos
cbwilliams
Contributor
Contributor

I've experienced the same problem and have had success by removing Symantec AV from the gold image. It seems to work fine now, but now how do I get AV on my linked clones?

0 Kudos
Massoger
Contributor
Contributor

We are having the same issue all of a sudden on our 4.0.1 configuration. When creating linked clone persistent pools, they get created and you can log on to the console just fine, but you get the error message in the View Manager status.

We have been working with VMWare support for 2 days now trying to understand the issue with no solution yet.

Odd thing is that when we create from one parent VM it works fine, but another gets the error message. Multiple get the error message actually.

I will post up results when we get it resolved.

I'm thinking it has something to do with Symantec Endpoint Protection 11, but can't verify. It's a must have so it can't be removed, although it HAS been disabled with no luck!

0 Kudos
annoyedwagner
Contributor
Contributor

I would be interested to see if anyone das resolved this issue. Our team has gotten Symantec Antivirus 10 to work correctly when deploying the linked clones to a pool. With Symantec Endpoint Protection installed, we get the error "View Composer agent initialization state error (2): Failed to redirect profiles directory (waited 0 seconds)". I have been working with Symantec so far without a resolution. (I am using a d:\ drive for the persistance drive)

Things I have tried.

Install SEP with antivirus only. Install the full SEP client. Install the client with the default Symantec policy, and our customized VDI policy. Changed cdrom driver letter from d:\ to z:\. Removing the hardware id.

My WAG:

I think that Symantec SEP has open files that cause the profile copy to fail when the clone is provisioned. Using handles, I see that SEP has several log files open in the all users profile. I am guessing that Vmware is not able to copy these open files to the persistance drive (d:\). It does not change the registry setting for %userprofile% to d:\ in "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\ProfilesDirectory].

Files I believe to be open:

"System pid: 4 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

44C: File (R--) C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symant

ec\SRTSP\SrtETmp\48A38308.TMP

450: File (RW-) C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symant

ec\SRTSP\SrtETmp

55c

4E4: File (R--) C:\DOCUME1\ALLUSE1\APPLIC~1\Symantec\SPBBC\SPStart.log

4E8: File (R--) C:\DOCUME1\ALLUSE1\APPLIC~1\Symantec\SPBBC\BBConfig.log

4EC: File (R--) C:\DOCUME1\ALLUSE1\APPLIC~1\Symantec\SPBBC\BBSetUsr.log

4F0: File (R--) C:\DOCUME1\ALLUSE1\APPLIC~1\Symantec\SPBBC\BBDetect.log

4F4: File (R--) C:\DOCUME1\ALLUSE1\APPLIC~1\Symantec\SPBBC\SPPolicy.log

4F8: File (R--) C:\DOCUME1\ALLUSE1\APPLIC~1\Symantec\SPBBC\SPStop.log

4FC: File (R--) C:\DOCUME1\ALLUSE1\APPLIC~1\Symantec\SPBBC\BBValid.log

500: File (R--) C:\DOCUME1\ALLUSE1\APPLIC~1\Symantec\SPBBC\BBRefr.log

504: File (R--) C:\DOCUME1\ALLUSE1\APPLIC~1\Symantec\SPBBC\BBSetCfg.log

508: File (R--) C:\DOCUME1\ALLUSE1\APPLIC~1\Symantec\SPBBC\BBNotify.log

50C: File (R--) C:\DOCUME1\ALLUSE1\APPLIC~1\Symantec\SPBBC\BBSetCfg2.log

510: File (R--) C:\DOCUME1\ALLUSE1\APPLIC~1\Symantec\SPBBC\BBStHash.log

514: File (R--) C:\DOCUME1\ALLUSE1\APPLIC~1\Symantec\SPBBC\BBSetLoc.log

518: File (R--) C:\DOCUME1\ALLUSE1\APPLIC~1\Symantec\SPBBC\BBSetDev.log

51C: File (R--) C:\DOCUME1\ALLUSE1\APPLIC~1\Symantec\SPBBC\BBDebug.log

630: File (R--) C:\DOCUME1\ALLUSE1\APPLIC1\Symantec\SAVSUB1\submissions

.idx

634: File (R--) C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symant

ec\SRTSP\SrtMoEvt.log

640: File (R--) C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symant

ec\SRTSP\SrtErEvt.log

648: File (R--) C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symant

ec\SRTSP\SrtNvEvt.log

65C: File (R--) C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symant

ec\SRTSP\SrtViEvt.log

664: File (R--) C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symant

ec\SRTSP\SrtScEvt.log

668: File (R--) C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symant

ec\SRTSP\SrtTxFEvt.log

"

Thanks,

jwagner

0 Kudos
cbwilliams
Contributor
Contributor

I spoke with support about this issue and I was told that it has been resolved in a recently released patch. You can find it here: http://ftpsite.vmware.com/download/1548307161/vmware-view-4.0.1-269620.zip

Hope this helps!

I haven't tried it yet but I plan to apply it next week when I get back in the office. So I'll let you know how it goes.

0 Kudos
Massoger
Contributor
Contributor

It's definitely related to SEP. After spending the better part of a week, working with support and reviewing log files and testing repeatedly I found a work around. I call it a work around because it consistently alleviates the problem, but I believe the problem is a software issue that Symantec and VMWare need to resolve on the development side.

With SEP installed on the Parent VM, before shutting down to create your pool, REPAIR the SEP installation from the Add/Remove Programs control panel. It only takes about 10 minutes, at least for my configuration. After the repair, you'll need to stop the SEP service and disable it from starting automatically and use a POST SYNC batch file in the quickprep settings to re-enable it after the linked clones are created. That step was recommended by VMWare support.

Create a batch file in the root of C: on the parent. Put in the following 2 lines (for Windows XP) and save it as PostSync.bat.

sc config "symantec antivirus" start= auto

shutdown -r -t 01

This forces ALL the linked clones to set the Symantec Antivirus service to Auto start and reboots them to actually start the service. When you create the pool, on the quickprep settings page, enter C:\PostSync.bat in the Post Synchronization Script section. It adds a few minutes to the provisioning process because of the reboot.

Basically, with SEP disable and not running on the parent, there can be no locked TMP files to mess up the data redirection to the 😧 drive. The repair unlocks any TMP files that may have been locked during a definition update or who knows what else.

I have tested at least a dozen times and it works every time.

Dave

Hmm...I was on with support yesterday and they didn't mention that patch. I'll have to review it as well! Thanks!

0 Kudos
ntldr
Contributor
Contributor

Actually, i'm running SEP also, but i've taken it out of equation by disabling it completely on the master (and i think even uninstalling...) while trying to resolve it with VMW support and it didnt solve anything.

My issue came down to Lotus Notes 8.5 and Office 2007 being on the master at the same time, once i pulled LN out and had it delivered after cloning issue went away. I am still uncertain how is that related to anything in master/clone relationship, but...

0 Kudos
annoyedwagner
Contributor
Contributor

Well Dave-

I tried the repair and disable SEP trick, and I am still getting this error. I dug into the vmware-viewcomposer-nga log in .\windows\system32 directory. It is at the bottom of the message. I also tried disabling all of the symantec services. Same error.

Directory with issues, "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\SRTSP\SrtETmp". I just noticed that only system has rights to this directory.....Although system should be the user running the customization script. I will try changing these rights. No, that did not work either.....

Heh, now I have tickets with Symantec and VMware.

"----

svmNga run on 7/22/2010, 13:44

-

SvmFindPersistentDisks: Drive map is 0x0000003D.

SvmMountPDisks: Disk at \??\D: needs to be relocated. The vol is cdrom: 1.

NativeLib_RelocateToEmptyMntPoint: Relocating 😧 to G:

SvmMountPDisks: Creating a new mount \??\D: for volume \??\E:

SvmMountPDisks: No need to relocate disk with usage 1, index 1

SvmMountPDisks: No need to relocate disk with usage 0, index 2

NativeLib_RelocateToEmptyMntPoint: Relocating G: to E:

NtQueryValueKey Failed: 0xC0000034

SvmRegQueryValueKeyA Failed 0xC0000034

SvmApplyProfilesPolicy: Relocating profiles folders to \??\D:

Status: 0xC0000034 NtCreateFile(\??\D:\Documents and Settings\All Users)

SvmRenameDirectory: Failed to open directory \??\D:\Documents and Settings\All Users. Status: 0xC0000034

SvmCopyFile: could not open src file 6EFBB20D.TMP. Status: 0xC0000043

SvmCopyDirectory: Could not copy file 6EFBB20D.TMP. Status: 0xC0000043

SvmCopyDirectory: Could not copy dir SrtETmp with attrib: 8208. Status: 0xC0000043.

SvmCopyDirectory: Could not copy dir SRTSP with attrib: 8208. Status: 0xC0000043.

SvmCopyDirectory: Could not copy dir Symantec with attrib: 8208. Status: 0xC0000043.

SvmCopyDirectory: Could not copy dir Application Data with attrib: 8211. Status: 0xC0000043.

SvmRelocateProfilesFolder: Failed to copy All Users directory from \??\C:\Documents and Settings\All Users to \??\D:\Documents and Settings\All Users. Status: 0xC0000043

SvmApplyProfilesPolicy: Failed to relocate profiles folder to \??\D:. Status: 0xC0000043

SvmApplyPolicy: Done setting the clone's identity with error.

-

svmNga run on 7/22/2010, 13:47

-

SvmMountPDisks: No need to relocate disk with usage 2, index 0

Status: 0xC0000034 NtCreateFile(\??\D:\Documents and Settings\All Users.bak)

SvmCopyFile: could not open src file D363334B.TMP. Status: 0xC0000043

SvmCopyDirectory: Could not copy file D363334B.TMP. Status: 0xC0000043

SvmCopyDirectory: Could not copy dir SrtETmp with attrib: 8208. Status: 0xC0000043.

SvmCopyDirectory: Could not copy dir SRTSP with attrib: 8208. Status: 0xC0000043.

SvmCopyDirectory: Could not copy dir Symantec with attrib: 8208. Status: 0xC0000043.

SvmCopyDirectory: Could not copy dir Application Data with attrib: 8211. Status: 0xC0000043.

SvmRelocateProfilesFolder: Failed to copy All Users directory from \??\C:\Documents and Settings\All Users to \??\D:\Documents and Settings\All Users. Status: 0xC0000043

SvmApplyProfilesPolicy: Failed to relocate profiles folder to \??\D:. Status: 0xC0000043

"

jwagner

0 Kudos
Massoger
Contributor
Contributor

Your nga logs look just as mine did, almost identical except for the tmp file names, but that changes with each installation.

That's really odd that a repair didn't fix the issue. Like I said, I tried it on at least 5 different parent vm's and it worked everytime.

I'd suggest an uninstall/reinstall at this point. What else have you got to lose.

I haven't tried the patch suggested by cbwilliams and honestly I'm hesitant since my setup seems to be working now.

-

svmNga run on 7/15/2010, 15:23

-

SvmMountPDisks: No need to relocate disk with usage 2, index 0

Status: 0xC0000034 NtCreateFile(\??\D:\Documents and Settings\All Users.bak)

SvmCopyFile: could not open src file E198DE5C.TMP. Status: 0xC0000043

SvmCopyDirectory: Could not copy file E198DE5C.TMP. Status: 0xC0000043

SvmCopyDirectory: Could not copy dir SrtETmp with attrib: 16. Status: 0xC0000043.

SvmCopyDirectory: Could not copy dir SRTSP with attrib: 16. Status: 0xC0000043.

SvmCopyDirectory: Could not copy dir Symantec with attrib: 16. Status: 0xC0000043.

SvmCopyDirectory: Could not copy dir Application Data with attrib: 19. Status: 0xC0000043.

Good luck!

Dave

0 Kudos
annoyedwagner
Contributor
Contributor

For those of you that have the same issue:

The patch does work when installed on the base vdi vm in my instance.

VMware recomended only using the virtual machine agent patch from <http://ftpsite.vmware.com/download/1548307161/vmware-view-4.0.1-269620.zip>. YMMV.

From the readme :

"VMware View Agent

-

1. Using “Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs”

remove previously installed “VMware View Agent”

2. Now double click on the executable “VMware-viewagent-4.0.1-269620.exe”

to start the installation of the patch

3. Go through the installation wizards

"

I have not gotten Symantec to explain why SEP is leaving this file open in the all users profile, when SEP (and all of the services) are disabled. If they provide any relevant info, I will post it here.

jwagner

0 Kudos