VMware Horizon Community
Lusti67
Contributor
Contributor

View Composer agent initialization state error (17):

Hello NG

On our environment we work with View 4.5 on a Windowss 2003 Server. During the customization prozess of new deployed Desktops we received the following error.

View Composer agent initialization state error (17): Sysprep did not start within the timeout period (waited 300 seconds)

This error appears with WinXP machines. What could be here the cause of the problem? Strange is, that i deployed two machines, the one get the error, the second one didn't have this error.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ramon

0 Kudos
18 Replies
AnsonLeung
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
iforbes
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi. I got the exact same error. The error also appears on Windows XP machines during the customization process of deploying linked clone desktops (View 4.5). Did you find out why you got the error?

Thanks

Ian

0 Kudos
AnsonLeung
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
iforbes
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks. I applied the patch and so far so good.

0 Kudos
Thomas_Hume
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have the same problem. I tried applying the patches with no success. Anyone have any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

i'm using windows XP with SP3 with all the latest patches updated and i do not see such error. also i'm using quickprep instead of sysprep.

0 Kudos
npeter
Expert
Expert

Do you have enough ports available in the virtual switch?

Please check the failed VM has network connectivity.

-nObLe
0 Kudos
Thomas_Hume
Contributor
Contributor

I didn't have the problem on v4.01 using quickprep. Since moving to 4.5 and using sysprep I see about a 8-10% failure, I think i'll swap back to quickprep and see how it goes. Note: I'm using Windows XP SP3 fully patched as well.

0 Kudos
Thomas_Hume
Contributor
Contributor

Yes i have plenty of spare ports. My pool is 240 and I have 512 ports on the virtual switch. Also, all the VM's pick up an IP address from our DHCP server without any problem.

0 Kudos
npeter
Expert
Expert

can you generate the view agent log bundle from the failed machine and upload?

-nObLe
0 Kudos
Thomas_Hume
Contributor
Contributor

I'll have to create a new pool. I'll do this afternoon and upload the view agent log file.

0 Kudos
Thomas_Hume
Contributor
Contributor

I have attached the agent log file from one of the affected VM's

0 Kudos
npeter
Expert
Expert

Hi,

The file you uploaded is only view agent log, there are other components which are used during linked clone creation.

Can you run this support log collection script

"C:\Program Files\VMware View\Agent\DCT\\support.bat" and upload view agent log bundle

( more information on this script is available in View Admin guid p275)

Regards

Noble

-nObLe
0 Kudos
Thomas_Hume
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I've exported all the logs and uploaded them.

0 Kudos
npeter
Expert
Expert

Hi,

This machine has not joined to Domain during sysprep.

-------------

2011-01-18 11:52:05,062 DEBUG <MessageFrameWorkDispatch> [ws_winauth] WinAuth::getPrimaryDomain: NetGetJoinInformation returned workgroup: WORKGROUP
2011-01-18 11:52:05,062 DEBUG <MessageFrameWorkDispatch> [ws_winauth] getTrustedDomains: domainConfig = (null)
2011-01-18 11:52:05,062 DEBUG <MessageFrameWorkDispatch> [ws_winauth] WinAuth::getPrimaryDomain: NetGetJoinInformation returned workgroup: WORKGROUP
2011-01-18 11:52:05,062 INFO  <Service Main Thread> [wsnm_desktop] Domains enumerated in 0.000000 seconds
   DOMAIN =
      NAME = "SWVDIPOOL2-1"

-------------

From logs i cannot see it trying to join domain.

Are you facing this problem to all VMs in a pool or is it for only a few VMs in the pool?

If you are facing this for all VMs please make sure your custom-spec has is correct settings.( Try deploying a VM using the same custom spec ).

-nObLe
0 Kudos
Thomas_Hume
Contributor
Contributor

It only affects about 10% of the pool the rest of the pool complete OK. If i use quickprep it completes fine.

0 Kudos
npeter
Expert
Expert

How many hosts do you have in the esx cluster?

Do you see much disk Io delay from your esx to storage array? You can find it using esxtop command (refer: kb.vmware.com/kb/1008205 )

-nObLe
0 Kudos
Thomas_Hume
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Sorry for the delay replying, I've been on annual leave for the last few days.

Anyway, check the IOP's with ESXTOP and there wasn't any noticeable delays while composing the desktops.

I rebuilt the gold image from scratch and applied the patch posted earlier and all has been well for over 300 recomposes. I'll keep you posted on any further developments.

Many thanks for all your help.

Regards,

Thomas

0 Kudos