VMware Horizon Community
ElevenB2003
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

View Composer Replicas - How to see which replica is in use by which pool?

Is there a quick way to see which replicas are being used by each pool?  I have a sneaking suspicion that I have an extra replica that didn't get deleted and isn't in use anymore that I'd like to get rid of.

Thanks!

8 Replies
mclark
Expert
Expert

Based on what I've found there isn't a way to tell what replica is used by what pool. All I can tell is that the number of replicas equals the number of pools you have with provisioned desktops. So I have 6 pools, but only 4 with desktops that have been provisioned and created, so I have 4 replicas.

I think this would make an excellent idea for a feature request, though. Just one more piece of information to have that could be useful. It could be shown in the View Manager under the pool details.

ElevenB2003
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply. I was digging around myself for a bit before I decided to post here.  Is there a place where I can go to post customer feature requests directly to VMware?  They should also set an option in the View Manager to "unprotect" the replicas in case you need to manually delete them as running the sviconfig is kind of a pain...It could really even be a new menu option in View Manager to see all replicas in use, their status, and maybe even their performance? They are the critical component in any linked clone pool so there should be a way to manage them...

0 Kudos
mclark
Expert
Expert

Here is the link to the product request page. I like what you suggest, it does sound very useful. I might take what you posted here and submit it as a request also, if you don't mind. That would make two of them.

http://www.vmware.com/contact/contactus.html?department=prod_request

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

As you already know there is no clear way to determine which pools the replica is associated with.   As a matter of fact a replica can be associated with multiple pools if they are all using the same snapshot.    One thing you can do is check the events tab of the replica in question.  Whenever a machine is deployed based on that replica it will be noted in the events.  Maybe an easy way to tell if the replica is in use and by which pools. 

iforbes
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

What about via ADAM ADSI Edit? I recall there are steps to manually delete a Pool. I'd be surprised if ADAM ADSI Edit didn't have the Pool --> replica mapping

0 Kudos
iforbes
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have 3 pools and 4 replicas. I really wish there was an easy way to map the replica to the pool. I'd have thought ADAM ADSI Edit would give that information but I couldnt find out how,

0 Kudos
Meph1234
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

I do know one way of being able to tell what replica is associated with what master image. On the master image set annotations. IE one of mine says "ICT's machine". After the snapshot and recomposition the new replicas (which are just copies of the master image) also have the annotations

I hope you can see from the attached image. So if you have one pool per master image then you can see what replica belongs to what master.

Cheers

Phil

VCA4-DT
0 Kudos
WilliamReid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi there,

Easiest method of finding out which replica is being used by which linked clone would be to simply pick one of the lnked clones and follow the header files to locate the parent (or replica in this case)

While this KB doesn't actually note that View is covered in the products listing, the relationship is roughly the same.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101518...

Here's an excellent blog page explaining Linked clones...

http://myvirtualcloud.net/?p=1222

Hope that helps,

Wm

0 Kudos