VMware Horizon Community
pdarcysgi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

View Composer Quick Prep join the domain

I am using View creating linked cloned VMs and quick prep to join the VMs to the domain.

The VMs get created and the reconfiguration of the VM completes successfully, the VM computer accounts get added in the domain but when I try to log into a VM they are not part of the domain??

I've rebooted the VMs to make sure it wasn't that and still I do not get a domain login prompt?

Thanks

P

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mpryor
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Testing again today and I have check that the virtual machine used to clone has had the IP released from the machine before I shut it down but still getting the same issue. I have also disabled the XP firewall (this shouldn't cause an issue) and I still have the same problem. VMs created, accounts created in the domain but machine is still in a workgroup. ??

Perhaps this is a stupid question, but you haven't explicitly stated this: is the parent snapshot for the VMs already joined to the domain? This is one difference that often gets overlooked for linked-clone pools when setting them up for the first time. For more details, please see the View Manager 3.1 Administration Guide.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
mnasir
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This is really unusual - I am using 100s of linked clones and all of them are prepped using quick prep -- absolutely no issues with domain logon. One thing, make sure you release dhcp address using ipconfig /release on the master image and shutdown the master Vm before you take the snapshot.

Please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "helpful", if you find this post useful.Thanks!!

jusrr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Mnasir,

I am having the same problem. I have nonpersistant pool Vista SP2 confirmed the IP address is released in the ParentVM, power down, create snapshot and start the pool creation process.

Any thoughts?

J

0 Kudos
pdarcysgi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

I am sure that I dont a release of the IP before i shut it down. I will test again tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

0 Kudos
mnasir
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

j,

I have only deployed xp SP3 linked clones - I will test Vista linked clones when I am back in the office Tuesday...I will let you know.

0 Kudos
mnasir
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Great - please test it and let me know.

Thanks,

Meraz

0 Kudos
mnasir
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hmm - after you are done deploying the linked clones, do you see the computer accounts being created in the AD? Also, if you connect directly to the linked clones using mstsc - does the log-in drop down populate your domain name?

Thanks,

Meraz

0 Kudos
jusrr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can see the computer accounts created in AD but when I try to log in with a domain account I get an errors stating the machine needs to have a trust set up with the domain. When I get back in the office Wed. I will check RDP.

J

0 Kudos
pdarcysgi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Testing again today and I have check that the virtual machine used to clone has had the IP released from the machine before I shut it down but still getting the same issue. I have also disabled the XP firewall (this shouldn't cause an issue) and I still have the same problem. VMs created, accounts created in the domain but machine is still in a workgroup. ??

0 Kudos
mpryor
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Perhaps this is a stupid question, but you haven't explicitly stated this: is the parent snapshot for the VMs already joined to the domain? This is one difference that often gets overlooked for linked-clone pools when setting them up for the first time. For more details, please see the View Manager 3.1 Administration Guide.

0 Kudos
pdarcysgi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Correct, that was the issue, I cant believe I missed that one.

0 Kudos
mnasir
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Okay - try upgrading it to view 3.1.2 - I just read the release note - if the parent (master golden) was created from a snapshot - there may be issues with the quick prep. Also, my parent vm is none- domain machine.

Please consider awarding points for "correct" or "helpful", if you find this post useful.

Thanks,

Meraz

0 Kudos
jusrr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Figured out my multiple problems.... Port 4001 wasn't open from the desktops to the CS and to add insult to injury, the AV was causing issues as well. Dooh!!

J

0 Kudos
mnasir
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Cool.

Thanks,

Meraz

0 Kudos