VMware Horizon Community
NeilGingell
Contributor
Contributor

View Composer Fault: Failed to authenticate to VirtualCenter - View 4.5

I have recently upgraded our View environment to View 4.5 after some difficulty. All is now working well in terms of end users connecting to their desktops.

I have also upgraded View Composer to 2.5 sat on the vCenter Server.

If I try and refresh or compose additional desktops I recieve the error "View Composer Fault: Failed to authenticate to VirtualCenter". The error from within View Administrator > Inventory > Pools > %PoolName% > Events is "Provisioning error occurred for Machine zzlhaytc0002: Cloning failed for Machine".

I have verified the account specified under View Configuration > Servers > vCenter Servers is using the correct password and the account is valid. I have verified this by logging into VC with this account using the VI Client. The same account is a local administrator on the View Connection server & the VC server.

Host I am provisioning on are ESXi 4.1. VC is 4.1 on Windows Server 2008 R2.

Has anybody got any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Neil

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

To narrow down the problem, try a Administrator account that has full access to the vCenter and if that works there is a permission problem.

In the installation guide there is a detailed description of what rights is needed.

Any domain-trusts or any other things configures?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
kgsivan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

View upgrade need to be performed in a recommended procedure only.

Refer VMware View Upgrade Guide

For this issue, please disable view composer and enable it back and see. (Uncheck from View Configuration > Servers > vCenter Servers)

Thanks

Siva

0 Kudos
NeilGingell
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions.

Just to clarify this has previously worked prior to the update.

The account used to connect to vCenter isn't dependant on a trust and as mentioned above I have sucessfully logged into VC with the account (which does have full admin access in VC).

Siva - I have tried this and unfortunatley it makes no difference.

Thanks,

Neil

0 Kudos
npeter
Expert
Expert

Did you change VC to a new host during the upgrade?

-nObLe
0 Kudos
NeilGingell
Contributor
Contributor

Yes

0 Kudos
npeter
Expert
Expert

Have you followed the steps mentioned in VMware View Upgrade Guide ? DId you migrate the certificates and assign the same IP addresses?

-nObLe
0 Kudos
JoJoGabor
Expert
Expert

I Had this same issue. It was originally caused because the service account that View was using to conenct to vcenter had expired. I changed the account to a new service account with a non expiring password, and View appeared to connect to Vcenter correctly and new pools provisioned fine.

However, existing pools were still not provisioning. I changed the original service account password back to what it was and these pools started working. So View must keep the login details for the pools somewhere inaccessible.

I will log a call with Vmware to find out

0 Kudos
SDO1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

have you tried making the service account local admin on your CS and VC just to make sure its not just a local auth issue?

0 Kudos