VMware Horizon Community
techinfoman
Contributor
Contributor

View Composer Agent Initialization error

Im using View 3.0.0-127642, and Composer 1.0.0-126338 with automated persistent pools.

After i refresh or recompose an already assigned/used vm, in the View Administrator i get the error "vmware view composer agent initialization error 2" in the Desktop Sources - Status colum

As a result, when i access that vm, a new profile is created in disk c: instead the mapping of the existing profile on the data disk configured in the pool using view Composer.

Why do i lose profile settings on the data disk after i recompose the vm and how can i fix this?

Thanks in advance,

Marcio

Message was edited by: techinfoman

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
kcampbell
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever resolve this issue? I'm seeing the same thing with one desktop in an automated pool.

0 Kudos
inbadmin
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same problem. I haven't been able to get the agent to redirect the profiles automatically but i have figured out how to do it manually. In XP the path to the profiles is set in the regestry in HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Profile List\ProfilesDirectory. Just change the entry from %System drive% to whatever drive you set up when creating the pools. The profiles for a specific user are set under the profile list key in a directory that is named with the users sid, do the same for this entry. The error will still show up in View manager but the user profiles will be on the correct disk. Does anyone no why this happens or how to fix it correctly?

0 Kudos
lbourque
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You lose the data because it's saved on the delta/OS disk. That means every time you do a refresh, rebalance, recomposition anything on C: goes "POOF!".

One of the issues with Windows is that it puts in a "hard" delay in new hardware detection (the time period is set to 5 min). You can override this by making the following change in the Master image (you will have to do a recomposition and remove any profiles in the master image to start with):

Create a DWORD in: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vmware-viewcomposer-ga

Set the DECIMAL value to what you want in seconds. I'd recommend 60 as too short a value may cause unforeseen issues.

Power off the Master, create a new snapshot and recompose. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
inbadmin
Contributor
Contributor

Do you need to call the DWORD anything in particular?

0 Kudos
lbourque
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Duh! I forgot that.. Smiley Happy

PnPTimeout

0 Kudos
kcampbell
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you! I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that but I just realized, it's not that serious. I'll copy up whatever data there is on c, which should be on the user data disk, and then blow the machine away and get the user onto a fresh machine. spoke to vmware about it, they stated it's a known issue that isn't really of much concern, happens and is addressed in their update coming out in mid-may.

0 Kudos