VMware Horizon Community
amahler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

View Composer 6 Install Fails on Windows 2012 R2 saying I need Windows 2012 R2 (!?)

Any insights here? Been slogging my way through building this entire View system from scratch, get to the Composer install and I get an error message that says this can only be installed on Windows 2012 R2... the VERY OS I'm trying to install it on.

Windows_7_Main_-_Parallels_Desktop.png

What am I missing here?

- Aaron

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Is it a domain-controller?

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
amahler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Is this because it's Datacenter edition?

If so, kill me now.

- Aaron

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Is it a domain-controller?

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
amahler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes. The documentation specifically said the Connection server can't be a domain controller, but I didn't see that note for the View Composer server. I'll make sure I didn't overlook it.

This is a relatively small, pilot program VDI installation and I'm trying to keep it pretty streamlined. That said, I'm already in a position to leave this server (with AD) in place and throw up yet another 2012 R2 server for Composer.

Do you know for a fact the domain controller is the issue? Would it be too hard for their error message to maybe indicate that instead of the nonsense I'm seeing?

Thanks!
- aaron

0 Kudos
amahler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I just checked the install documentation again. Connection server specifically says: "You must join each View Connection Server host to an Active Directory domain. The host must not be a domain controller. "

I don't see any such statement regarding Composer, so I felt safe pairing up those functions on this server.

If that is the cause, is there a workaround to please the installer, or is this a deeper problem? Otherwise I'm going to need to do another 2012 R2 installation just for Composer.

Thanks!

- Aaron

0 Kudos
amahler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well, looks like the domain controller probably is the issue. I used my 2012 R2 Datacenter template to spin up another server and, after having to add the .NET 3.5 package, was able to run the installer without the error.

So it's not Datacenter... it appears to, in fact, be the domain controller. Again, if this is in the documentation, I haven't seen it. Ggggrrr...

Thanks!
- Aaron

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

No problem, I agree that the error-message should be better.

I'll file a internal PR on that one and hope to get it improved in the next release.

// Linjo

0 Kudos
amahler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks, Linjo!

- Aaron

0 Kudos