VMware Horizon Community
dflint
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

View Composer 4 Build 21930 - Database cannot be found during install

Latest releases of vSphere and View. DSN's test fine connecting to a SQL 2005 ruuning in Server 2008.

vCenter DB OK. Update Manager DB OK - on same SQL server. Unable to connect to finish View Composer install.

*"The database cannot be found.or a connection cannot be established. Check the DSN name to ensure that it is correctly entered."*

It is.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

vCenter is running on Windows 2008?

In this case is not supported.

See page25 of http://www.vmware.com/pdf/view40_admin_guide.pdf

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
31 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Sorry for maybe pointing out some obvious stuff but did you create the database and can you resolve the hostname to the SQL-Server?

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The installation program does not create the DB for Composer.

You have to create manually both the DB and the ODBC DSN.

Do not use same DB of VC or VUM.

Andre

0 Kudos
dflint
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes. There are separate databases for vCenter, Update Manager, and View Composer all on the same SQL server. And corresponding DSNs on the vCenter Server that all test connectivity successfully.

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

vCenter is running on Windows 2008?

In this case is not supported.

See page25 of http://www.vmware.com/pdf/view40_admin_guide.pdf

Andre

0 Kudos
dflint
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well I guess that puts this project on hold - again. We waited 8 months for a version of View that would run under vSphere 4, now this.

Thanks for the info. Not good news but at least I can stop wasting my time trying to make this work.

0 Kudos
dTardis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am running into the same problem. It seems like a Beta product.

Almost every product that I have used both creates the DSN and the Database. I usualy only have to tell it what SQL server to use and the login. Also why did they put this out when it can not compleatly support vCenter. By that I mean if you install vCenter on the most up to date platform that it can support (2008 R2 64bit) VmView will not work. What? This just feels like an open Beta. Maybe ver 4.x will fix this feeling, but right now I don't think I will be recommending this product.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

View 4 is definatly not a beta product, I have many customers running this is production.

The manual explains how to setup the DSN and Database.

This is a major release with a long development and QA cycle, it would be almost impossble to coordinate the different releases in the product-familys to match exactly.

The supported versions is clearly stated in the documentation.

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
dTardis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My response is below.

0 Kudos
dTardis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I seem to have hit a nerve, and maybe hurt your feelings a little. If I did I apologize. That was not my intention. My intention was to point out the general frustration that I have and I believe others have with this product. Maybe I should have not said that it ‘seems’ like a beta product. I should have said that it ‘feels’ like a beta product. This means to me: mostly finished, working, feature complete, able to be used, but not polished.

I am sure you know that there were people that were using windows 7 in their production environment, even though the OS was still in beta. So being used in production does not mean that it no longer feels like a beta product.

Yes the manual explains how to setup a DSN (page 139) and create a database. My question is why does it? Why, when I have had many programs that not only can install SQL express themselves. They can also create the DSN and the Database without my help. Sure they ask me what server the DB is on, and what credentials that I would like it to use, but that’s usually it. In fact I think ( although I am not sure ) that vCenter did just that. If it’s ok for the product manual to tell you how to set up the DSN and create the DB, why not also tell you what tables to create in the DB and the restrictions on those tables, and what they need to be initially populated with for the system to work also. The manual could also tell you what registry entries to make on the server instead of having the installer program do it, does that make it acceptable?

Also if you want to watch this video, which was very good BTW, you can see that the person demoing the install even had a problem: VMware View Proof of Concept Series Part 1: Installation and Initial Configuration

Looking back this is really funny to me for a couple of reasons. I remember when the upgrade from VI3 to VI4 videos came out. I LOVED them. All I had to do was watch the video and press the same buttons he did and I was upgraded! It was great and by far one of the most pain free upgrades I have ever done, and one of the best uses of video I have ever seen. When I watched this video he could not even get the DSN setup right. I believe that at one point he said something to the effect of: forget it. I'm not a DBA and you can just set it up this way, it’s just not recommended for production. Funny thing, I'm not a DBA ether, and I didn't see a requirement for a DBA in the manual ether. It would have been nice if they remembered that there are people out there that use their product that aren’t DBA's. I guess he should have read the manual?

Yes the manual clearly says what versions are supported. Does that mean if they said ‘only supported on windows 2000 server SP1’ that would be ok? Maybe your expectations are not as high as mine, but I have come to have very high expectations of VMWare. They make great stuff! Heck some people that I talk to might think I work for them. I have really enjoyed going to a ‘all praise hyper-v’ show and just picked them to death with what VMWare can do that they can’t. I don’t think I will be invited back . If they had decoupled Composer from the need to be installed on the same computer as the vCenter it would have been fine. I would not have complained. It just seems strange to me that the two groups don’t talk to each other and can’t seem to match up what they are going to support. They could have delayed the roll out of Composer to get it working on the 2k8 R2 64bit platform. That would have been understandable.

My friend thinks that they pushed out this version before it was completely ready, because of the pressure from their competitors. He may be right. I really don’t know. I do know that VMWare will improve the product and polish it up. Again if it’s just ME that expects too much from them, or feels this way then just ignore me. I still love their stuff and will continue to use it, and recommend it. I just think we will just wait for ver 4.x on this one.

Message was edited by: dTardis

0 Kudos
officeglen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware needs to raise the bar and this is a perfect example of VMware coasting along.

At a minimum View Composer 4 should support Windows 2008 (32bit & 64bit) and not supporting either edition means that VMware View will not have a home in my enterprise yet.

Windows 2003R2 is two releases old now and mainstream supports end in July of 2010. It seems that VMware touts being the best, but tries to get by doing the bare minimum.

If VMware doesn't want to be a slave to the Microsoft Windows OS upgrade schedule than they should eat their own dog food and build purpose built virtual appliances. Either way, something has to change. Hopefully that change doesn't involve me moving to a different vendor.

0 Kudos
rocker77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

I am solving similar issue. I have vCenter server installed on W2k3R2 x64. In install guide for vCenter server VMware demands create DSN by x32 version. I find somewhere on internet that you CAN install Composer on x64 system but the DSN you HAVE TO create by x64 DSN. I test it - it works. If you create Composer DSN by x32 you can't install Composer I you'll get error message.

Roman

0 Kudos
dflint
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I did try creating the DSNs both ways, 32 and 64 bit versions and tested both. Same error.

0 Kudos
dTardis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Welcome to my world Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
rocker77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

yesterday I have installed Composer on W2k3 R2 x64 pruduction system without issues.

Could you describe step by step process with x64 DNS?

0 Kudos
dflint
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This is a Windows 2008 Server (Standard) 64 bit OS. I ran into the same problems when initially installing vSphere.

This post describes how to created the 32 bit DSN required for vSphere to connect. Unfortunately, neither the 64 bit or the 32 bit DSN's work with View Composer.

When you get around to installing vSphere, if on a 64-bit Windows host in x86 compatibility mode, a 32-bit DSN is required for the database connection. If a DSN has been set up through *Start > Administrative Tools > Data Sources (ODBC)* the vSphere installer won’t be able to use this DSN.

The 64-bit ODBC Administrator tool can be invoked from Control Panel to manage user DSNs and system DSNs that are used by 64-bit processes, but for 32-bit datasources, the 32-bit ODBC Administrator tool is used for Windows on Windows 64 (WOW64) processes. To set up a 32-bit DSN launch the 32-bit version of the Data Source Administrator. It is located at: %systemdrive%\Windows\SysWoW64\Odbcad32.exe

0 Kudos
justinhamlin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This has to be a joke. Can VMware really be this backwards, to rush an application to production like View 4, be touting it left and right as THE STANDARD for desktop virtualization, and their system requirements are well over 5 years old?

0 Kudos
trimelater
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I must have misread what you post and attempted to install View Composer on Windows 2008 using a 64 bit ODBC connection. View Composer does not work on Windows 2008 using a 32 bit ODBC connector but does work on a 64 bit ODBC connection.

In the end, I did get View Composer, View Connection Server, and vCenter all running on Windows 2008. Here are the steps I took which I hope will help anyone that is attempting to install View Composer, View Connection, and vCenter. Keep in mind that I have installed all Windows 2008 using 64 bit OS.

1. Install vCenter using a 32 ODBC connection - If using a 64 bit os, go to c:\windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32

2. Install View Composer using a 64 bit ODBC connection.

3. Install View Connection Server- make sure you are on a domain controller and DNS is setup properly.

The steps above is how I got View Composer to work in Windows 2008.

0 Kudos
Gasaraki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have vCenter and everything else working on Windows 2008R2 x64 EXCEPT View Composer. After reading all the replies, it seems that View Composer can't even be installed on Windows 2008 x64 or x32? WTH?

I installed vCenter before I wanted to test View so there was no way I would have known that View STILL does not support 64bit systems OR Windows 2008.

I have tried creating a 32odbc connection and a 64bit one. No luck. If I can't get this to work, I guess I will not recommend the View product for purchase.

0 Kudos
trimelater
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Not sure where you went wrong. vCenter can run on Windows 2008 64 bit OS but has to have a 32 bit ODBC connection for vCenter. View Composer must be install on the same server that vCenter is running but you must use a 64 bit ODBC connection. Let me ask you this, did you install View Connection Server? FYI, View Connection Server must be installed seperately from vCenter and View Composer. I currently have vCenter, View Composer, and View Connection server running.

Also, I heard that vmWare will be releasing View 4.5 in the summer which they will later support 64 bit OS and ODBC connection. The current step above is not currently supported by vmWare. I just happen to test this out and this allow me to use link clones.

0 Kudos