VMware Horizon Community
dvhorvath
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

View Client with Local Mode installation issues

I'm trying to install the View Client with Local Mode on a Lenovo R60 laptop, just to test the process of checking out a desktop from a Transfer Server. Admittedly, this is not a fast computer; it has a dual core 1.66 GHz processor and 1.5 GB of RAM. It's running Windows 7 32-bit. The goal is not to have a stellar computing experience, but just to make sure everything is working right. But when I try to install the View Client with Local Mode on this system, I get the Custom Setup options shown in LocalModeInstall2.PNG attached. Note that there is no Local Mode option available.

The Transfer Server is correctly installed, and I have published an image to it successfully. The pool for Local Mode access has been set to deny Remote Mode and allow Local Mode, which should force users to download the image to make use of it. Ironically, I've been able to test that all of that is working right using a Fusion VM running Windows 7 64-bit, even though you're not supposed to be able to check a VM out to a VM running in Workstation or Fusion.

I'm assuming that this laptop doesn't meet some minimum requirement, so the option to install Local Mode is not available, but I would think there would be some indication of that during the installation. As you can see in LocalModeInstall1.PNG, I am running the installer with Local Mode. Is this the way it's supposed to work? If the hardware doesn't support Local Mode, does it just not make that feature available? Or am I doing something wrong with this?

Just to clarify, this laptop does not have the View Agent, VMware Workstation, VMware ACE or VMware Player installed. I hope somebody can help me understand what's going on with this, because I feel like I'm going crazy.

Thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Local Mode in View 5.1 is based on VMware Player 4 and that requires a 64bit cpu.

Maybe that is what is stopping the installation.

Maybe you could try with an earlier client?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It seems like the installer sees something already installed that voids the local mode install.  I assume you have tested the installer on another piece of hardware and everything worked fine?   

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Local Mode in View 5.1 is based on VMware Player 4 and that requires a 64bit cpu.

Maybe that is what is stopping the installation.

Maybe you could try with an earlier client?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
dvhorvath
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Linjo! Looks like that was it. I must have gone over the documentation and release notes about a dozen times, but I guess I just missed that every time.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

dvhorvath wrote:

Thanks Linjo! Looks like that was it. I must have gone over the documentation and release notes about a dozen times, but I guess I just missed that every time.

You and me both.   Thanks Linjo for pointing everyone in the right direction. 

0 Kudos