VMware Horizon Community
CyberTron123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

View Client for mac with PCoIP support (when??)

Well, I guess that many like me are wondering, why didn't the 4.6 upgrade give us a Mac Client with PCoIP support?? It sucks that one only get to use either Fusion and boot a winxp/win7 image and then connect or suck it up and use the (in comparison) sucky RDP client...

Please vmware, give us the PCOIP client for Mac, how hard can it be?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

try speaking to your local vmware rep, they would be able to share the time line with you.

alelondon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Indeed. When? Very strange that they released a PCoIP client for the ipad but not for the Mac... Same OS isn't it?

Will try and find out form VMware...

0 Kudos
AdamG53
Contributor
Contributor

Until VMware releases a Mac client with PCoIP support, you can improve the performance of the RDP client by complementing it with the Ericom Blaze Mac client.  Blaze is a software product that accelerates and compresses standard Microsoft RDP, so it speeds RDP while conserving bandwidth. Blaze accelerates RDP performance by as much as 25 times, and helps deliver higher frame rates and reduce screen freezes and choppiness.

You can use VMware View with PCoIP for your Windows users, and at the same time use VMware View with Blaze over RDP for your Mac users.

Read more about Blaze and download a free evaluation at:
http://www.ericom.com/Blaze4VMwareView

Another option is to  sign up to try the beta version of Ericom's HTML5 Client for VMware View.  This client allows you to access your VMware View virtual desktops from any HTML5-compatible web browser (Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari, etc.), so you can use it from your Mac (if you have the appropriate browser).

This client works on RDP.  However, it also includes the Ericom Blaze technology mentioned above, which should help you with performance issues.

Ericom's HTML5 VDI client for VMware View does not require any additional plug-ins, add-ons or installation of any kind on the end user device.

All you need to try the beta is:

- An HTML5-compatible browser

- Link to a web page

- Computer name of the VMware View server

- Hit “Connect” and the virtual desktop will appear within the browser – not in a separate window

For more information about this solution, and to sign up for the beta program, go to:

http://www.ericom.com/html5client4vmwareview

Adam (from Ericom)

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

one is MacOS and the other is IOS ..

0 Kudos
alelondon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks very useful Smiley Happy Obvioulsy that wasn't my point. When I say same OS in this case I mean same sort of system. As opposed to one being Linux and the other being Windows for example. Point is - and I dont like to rate Citrix - but they managed to release Citrix receiver for iPad, iPhone AND Mac as well as Windows, Android, etc. Real point was if they can do it why can't VMware...

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The Citrix XenApp client for Mac has existed for years, they did not keep it up to date, but now that there is revived interest updating it is not all that hard, even moving it to support XenDesktop.

It might seem like it takes us longer, but we do spend a lot of time on quality and usability of the PCoIP clients. The iPad client was a 1.0 and there is no comparison of the feedback from user studies and customers when compared to other clients for different solutions that rush to get something out there, some of which are on second and third versions and still have usability issues.

We are not in a race with anyone and are focused first on quality and cusotmer desire. We actually had the Mac client in the works before the iPad client but, the vast majority of customers want iPad first. So, that is what we did.

We also have been working on streamlining some  things that will pay great dividends in the long run. I can understand from the perspective it can take a log time but knowing the full history of what is sitting in the hopper both from a readiness and quality stand point. It actually has / will have happened very quickly.

I am sure once everything planned is available this will not be an issue Smiley Happy

WP

0 Kudos
thehyperadvisor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The citrix client for macosx is not fully comparible to the windows client either but it does work well. I'd assume it's easier to support the mobile tablet and phone requirements for features that the customer wants to see versus the macosx desktop. I am not in vmware nor citrix'es development shoes so I can't bash either companies desicion or direction on this. But as a customer of both vmware and citrix who has to support windows, macos and mobile platforms/users, the desktop/laptop user platforms are more important. That's just were most the real work is done today.

VCP3,4,5, VCAP4-DCA, vExpert hope this helps - http://www.thehyperadvisor.com If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
virtualnoob2
Contributor
Contributor

@AdamG53 dude thats awesome.. this is getting installed in my test environment tomrrow !

0 Kudos
nicoladeff
Contributor
Contributor

hello
I found that on the mac, the client view not allows to choose the type of protocol to connect. What connection use it? PCoIP or RDP?

thank

Nicola

0 Kudos
virtualnoob2
Contributor
Contributor

PCoIP is not available for Open-Client yet, read this thread..

0 Kudos
chaz112182
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

just install vmware fusion

install windows 7

install the windows 4.6 client

boom  done 

0 Kudos
alelondon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Personally I will use the RDP until the PCoIP for Mac is out. The benefit and joy of not having yet another Windows machine is too great. One Windows PC is enough I find. Jsut hurry up VMware 😉

0 Kudos
thehyperadvisor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

using fusion to install windows to run the view client is not a good work around. with that recommendation the user would have to purchase fusion and a windows license.

VCP3,4,5, VCAP4-DCA, vExpert hope this helps - http://www.thehyperadvisor.com If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
ealaqqad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In case any one still reading this. VMware View Client with PCoIP support was released for Mac back in March. You can find more info on how to get it and how it look like by checking the following post: VMware View Client for mac with PCoIP support

Its worth mentioning the PCoIP client is waaaaaay better than the RDP client on Mac and look quite neat. Glad to finally have it supported and not have to sneakly recompile it from Thin Client vendors code.

Hope this help.

Regards,

Eiad Al-Aqqad

Blog: http://www.VirtualizationTeam.com

Regards, Eiad Al-Aqqad Technology Consultant @ VMware b: http://www.VirtualizationTeam.com b: http://www.TSMGuru.com
0 Kudos