VMware Horizon Community
AaronCompNetSys
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

View Client for Linux, Staying logged in after disconnect

I have a large lot of IGEL Linux thin clients, and I upgraded them to the latest version which includes the newest Linux version of the view client.

The default behavior for the application is to not exit when a connection to a VM drops from intentional log off of the VM.  This makes no sense, since the Windows version of the app automatically exits the application when the view session closes.

This means that when my users log out of their VM as they are trained, the thin client is left at a state after password entry and before pool selection.  The next person to use the workstation would have access to their account.

This makes no sense.  How to I change it to exit the app?  Until I can change it, my Linux thin clients are useless.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Oizo
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

As Aaron reported, it is functioning as designed.

BUT, we did included a way to change the Client behaviour.

Please check this document :

https://www.vmware.com/pdf/view-client-linux-document.pdf

On page 22, you'll find the explanation on the parameter "--once"

Specifies that you do not want View Client to retry connecting in the case of an error occurring.
     Use --once if you want to obtain a similar workflow to the View 4.6 client. This option will force the View client to exit after the user disconnects or logs off from a desktop.
     You should usually specify this option if you use kiosk mode, and use the exit code to handle the error. Otherwise, you might find it difficult to kill the vmware-view process remotely.
     If you are setting the configuration key, specify "TRUE" or "FALSE". Default is "FALSE".

You can use this like this (tested on an Ubuntu machine) :

- Open a terminal and run "vmware-view --once"

or

- Modify the file in the home folder of the user, called : .vmware/view-preferences

- Add the line : view.once = "TRUE"

For the iGel client, or any other types/brands/models, I'm not sure if you can access it and apply modification, so I would recommend you to contact the Technical Support Services of those devices.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Jonathan

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AaronCompNetSys
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I recieved contact from VMware, they report that the application is functioning as designed.  They did not include a way to change the behavior.

This is show stopping problem for us that I'm pretty shocked that VMware overlooked.

0 Kudos
Oizo
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

As Aaron reported, it is functioning as designed.

BUT, we did included a way to change the Client behaviour.

Please check this document :

https://www.vmware.com/pdf/view-client-linux-document.pdf

On page 22, you'll find the explanation on the parameter "--once"

Specifies that you do not want View Client to retry connecting in the case of an error occurring.
     Use --once if you want to obtain a similar workflow to the View 4.6 client. This option will force the View client to exit after the user disconnects or logs off from a desktop.
     You should usually specify this option if you use kiosk mode, and use the exit code to handle the error. Otherwise, you might find it difficult to kill the vmware-view process remotely.
     If you are setting the configuration key, specify "TRUE" or "FALSE". Default is "FALSE".

You can use this like this (tested on an Ubuntu machine) :

- Open a terminal and run "vmware-view --once"

or

- Modify the file in the home folder of the user, called : .vmware/view-preferences

- Add the line : view.once = "TRUE"

For the iGel client, or any other types/brands/models, I'm not sure if you can access it and apply modification, so I would recommend you to contact the Technical Support Services of those devices.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Jonathan

0 Kudos
AaronCompNetSys
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

IGEL contacted me directly to report that they imidiately applied this new option to their firmware and released it imediately.  They set the default to disconnect when in application mode.

0 Kudos
Oizo
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Aaron,

Nice move from them! Smiley Wink

Working alltogether to keep everyone's happy!

Regards,

Jonathan

0 Kudos