VMware Horizon Community
martinlui
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

View Client cannot reconnect to virtual desktop

I am facing a problem on using View client. After I logged into a virtual desktop, I close the client directory (click the cross of the view client window) without logout. I cannot reconnect to the desktop and View client has this error message:

This desktop is currently not available. Please try connecting to this desktop again later, or contact your system administrator.

After I use the client to logoff the system or logoff the session at View Administrator, the desktop become accessable again. Is it a bug of View server or it can be configure in View Administrator?

Tags (3)
12 Replies
MartijnLo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In the View Administrator you can set it to log off the user at disconnect (or with a time interval).

There is also a TS policy that you can set on the virtual desktop template through gpedit.msc. Here you can also select a specific time at which the TS session is logged off after disconnect.

0 Kudos
martinlui
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply. I know that there is a option to set the session to logoff. But I want to keep the session when user disconnected. Is there any suggestion?

0 Kudos
HNNY5067
Contributor
Contributor

I have experienced the same issue and some variations:

1. A user will disconnect from their RDP session and they are unable to re-connect with a message that says that the resource or device is busy. If I look in the View Manager under the Desktops and Pools tab it states that there are no active sessions. When working properly, a disconnected session should show active under that tab and the Desktop Sources tab will show disconnected.

2. XP Virtual Desktop locks up after a disconnect or if the user locks their desktop

I have the following VDI Configuration:

• all machines that are experiencing the problem are deployed from the same Template - XP Pro w/ SP2 and many of the Post-SP2 MS Critical Updates

• View 3.0.0 build-127642 (Both View Servers are Virtual Machines running in a separate VMware HA/DRS cluster)

• ESX 3.5.0 Update 3 Build 119598

• Virtual Center 2.5.0 Build 119826

• I followed the VMware XP Deployment Guide when creating my template

• I am doing Individual VM's and not Pools. I am not doing linked clones yet

• My client are Wyse Thin Clients V10L running the 6.2.0 (21) Thin OS. I do have the lastest version certified for VDI - 6.3.0 (12)

Perhaps this is an RDP issue and has nothing to do with the View Broker

there are two Microsoft KB articles in the View 3 Release notes that should be followed (I did not see these initially and will apply them now to see if it makes any difference). The first KB article referenced really does not apply to my XP VM Template, as I do not have any X.509 Certs listed in the Registry. The second KB replaces the TCPIP.sys file and addresses a computer that is running Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2), with programs that connect to IP addresses that are in the loopback address range may not work as you expect. I am assuming that RDP does this as the KB article does not make any mention of RDP or Terminal Services.

Install required Microsoft Windows patches - For Windows XP desktop VMs, make sure you have RDP patches referenced by Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) articles 323497 and 884020. Failure to do this may result in a Windows Sockets failed error message on the client. You can find these KB articles at the following URLs:

0 Kudos
asarandi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Install these two hotfix has solved your problem? Can You reconnect to a disconnected session after installation?

0 Kudos
evandena
Contributor
Contributor

Any updates on this?

We too are having a problem with users closing their session and not being able to restore it. I would like to preserve their sessions instead of forcing a logout.

0 Kudos
spt87
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone ever found more on this? I'm having the same problem with View 4. Never had this with View 3.x or VDM 2.x If I downgrade back to 3.x using the same VDI's the problem goes away.

If I log the VDI out, I can connect fine - can not reconnect regardless of protocol (RDP or PCoIP).

I've checked all the GPO settings, anything else I could think of. Stopped all services except those needed to keep the OS up and VDM agent.

VDI is WinXP SP2 + the hotfixes mentioned in this thread + KB940458.

0 Kudos
henketh
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same problem, "All available desktop sources for this desktop are currently busy" when trying to reconnect after a disconnect. Hasn't VMware a official reply on this? Has anyone opened a Service Request regarding this problem?

Furthermore, I can't see any Active Session in View Manager, even when obviously connected to the desktop.

I had the same problem when running View 4 RC, and still with the RTM??

0 Kudos
henketh
Contributor
Contributor

Bump

Anyone? Still having this problem, and since we're on a evaluation license I can't get any official support (or can I?). This problem, together with a number of other serious problems is making me doubt this product in a serious way, so if VMware would like to sell us View licenses they better come up with something. I have been in contact with the local VMware Partners but no luck yet.

0 Kudos
lschwingler2
Contributor
Contributor

I just setup View4 and ran into the same problem. My issue was Symantec anti-virus causing permission issues on profile folders causing the view agent to go crazy. Remove Symantec and you should be good...if you have it installed on your master image.

0 Kudos
pozzatoa
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

4.0 version. I Have the same issue. when user disconnect from session he can't login again and the desktop sources is in the Disconncted state.

I must to force a logoff every time to solve the problem.

This is a very annoying issue...

Alessio

anthonythompson
Contributor
Contributor

How are you connected when you disconnect? PCoIP or RDP? What version of View agent and client do you have?

I had the same problem with my company (ESXi 4, View 4 agent and client). We would disconnect from the client using the X and the Guest OS would actually BSOD. Turns out it was a known issue with PCoIP and VMware SVGA II driver version 11.6.0.31. Need to upgrade this to 11.6.0.32 (in the latest view agent release). Worked for us, although the driver was incorrectly been reported as 11.6.0.32 after a removal of the view agent, and reinstall. So make sure you remove the view agent, and then make sure the SVGA II driver from c:\windows\system32\drivers\vmx_svga.sys and also c:\program files\common files\vmware\drivers\video are deleted.

A way to check if this was your issue, would be close the client, then open a console from Virtual centre to the machine and see if it has rebooted etc. Or check the MS event logs for the guest for the error message.

Anthony

DaveFinchNM
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, Anthony. Stopping the Symantec Endpoint Protection service allowed me to reconnect immediately. I'll exclude the profile folders from real time scans. 

0 Kudos