VMware Horizon Community
1SmokinJoe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

View Client and Agent for 64 bit? Windows 7? Vista? XP?

Hi All,

The documents for View 3.1.2 and 4.x do not show ANY support for ANY 64 bit OSes. What is up with that?

We are using Windows XP 64 bit for ProE a 3D mechanical cad package. I am sure we are not the only company that has the memory requirement to move from 32 bit to 64 bit. ProE is a pig on Vista, so Vista x64 is really a dead end. Windows 7 x64 may be too new. Will there ever be support for 64 bit Windows XP(Server 2003)?

Yes I am sure performance will be fine, if not we just buy more Dell R905 servers with 128 gigs of ram for the engineers. Smiley Happy Buying more servers and distributing them to the users is cake, replacing all the machines in a department every 3 years is a PITA!

Thanks,

The Average Joe

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
razzie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware View 4 does support Windows XP x64 so I would assume that they also gave support to Vista x64. The program will install in the Program Files x86 but it will work unlike pervious verisons that gave an error message about the software not being compatiable with the version of OS you are running. One thing to note, is that the View portal still doesn't support the x64 OS but the standalone installation does. Also, the VMware View client and agent with offline support does not install on Windows 7.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
razzie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware View 4 does support Windows XP x64 so I would assume that they also gave support to Vista x64. The program will install in the Program Files x86 but it will work unlike pervious verisons that gave an error message about the software not being compatiable with the version of OS you are running. One thing to note, is that the View portal still doesn't support the x64 OS but the standalone installation does. Also, the VMware View client and agent with offline support does not install on Windows 7.

0 Kudos
1SmokinJoe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Client and Agent support on Windows XP 64 bit is good enough! Smiley Happy Vista and Win7 are just a lot more work to do what we already can do today. NO software is Windows 7 only and if there was Win7 only software that vendor would be shooting themselves in the foot.

Too bad 3D OpenGL is not working on PCoIP. I have a whole engineering department that is in need for upgrades and it would be very cost effective to give them a 3D OpenGL PCoIP Windows XP 64 bit View 4.0 desktop.

I hope VMware has support for the hardware PCoIP cards : http://WWW

To add more PCIe x1 PCoIP cards we would need these for our Dell servers : http://www-x8/index.html

Thanks,

-The Average Joe

0 Kudos