VMware Horizon Community
JamesConaway
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

View Client Video performance over Thin Clients

What is the latest on the ability to improve performance of video playback through the view client? I have a customer who is concerned about the laggy/latency of video playback. They are currently looking at purchasing HP ThinClients.

Is anyone familar with Pano's little silver cube and video performance of it's device?

Thanks.

If you found this at all helpful please award points by using the correct or helpful buttons! Thanks!
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

I can't speak exactly for the HP or Pano devices because I have never used them. Typically video playback over RDP is to be desired and not very good. You may want to think about looking into a WYSE device as well. WYSE offers a TCX piece that is pretty nice

http://www.wyse.com/products/software/tcx/index.asp

Hope this helps a bit.

0 Kudos
Vitaly91
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

James,

I would also suggest to take a look at SunRays. They have made some great improvements to multimedia performance. I have ran some YouTube videos and they did well.

Take a look at this link for some demonstration: http://blogs.sun.com/ThinGuy/entry/more_examples_mulitmedia_redirection

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
sshamilt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm currently looking into this. I've looked at Wyse using TCX and I was very impressed. I also heard that they will be improving TCX so that it incorporates flash (i.e. youtube).

I have a meeting with Sun about their thin clients next week, so I'll keep you informed after.

0 Kudos
K-MaC
Expert
Expert

Hey James, depending on where you are located you ca contact Pano and ask for a demo unit or 2 in order to test them. I believe you need to be in the USA. I wanted to get some sent to Japan and they informed me they were still looking for partners in this area. Which is too bad for them really. At any rate if smooth video is a requirement I know for sure that Teradici clients will give you excellent playback. However, they require additional hardware. Take a look at the following video for some to see Teradici in action.

If you found the following information useful please consider awarding points.

Cheers

Kevin

Cheers Kevin
0 Kudos
randyf25
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I currently have Wyse V10L devices running here using TCX. The media playback is good with WMV, AVI, etc. It sucks with Flash. They've told me that the Rich Sound TCX extension improves upon that. I am about to test that today and I can let you know.

The PanoLogic DAS 2.5 enhanced the cube's ability to playback media quite a bit. The problem is that sound is horrid. Even over a 100MB connection the audio was so compressed it reminded me of CNN.com video feeds from 5 years ago. Playback is also not smooth as you would probably want.

HP has RGS and from the demonstrations I've seen it works very well. Now those were demonstrations but I've no reason to believe it does not function. We didn't use HP many moons ago because RGS was tied to HP server hardware which we don't have. Since then I believe they've opened up that licensing to run on any backend.

Teradici clients will work great because it's using custom hardware to do the video streaming. It will cost more but if it's critical it might be worth it. But it's custom hardware on the backend as well, remember that.

0 Kudos
WYD2009
Contributor
Contributor

We've played with the Panos a little bit and found their performance on a LAN to be excellent. However, over a WAN, their performance is subpar to even a pure RDP session. We tested over an IPsec VPN, T1 connection, with no other traffic. Round trip times were 12ms or less, so we were expecting decent results. Unfortuntely, the CDS 2.5 just does NOT work in that environment, and I am not quite sure why.

0 Kudos
IGGS
Contributor
Contributor

Nothing compares to HP RGS and since the release of 5.2, it doesnt need to run on HP hardware.

Cheers,

Lachlan.

0 Kudos
chrislm2600
Contributor
Contributor

I have a number of HP t5730's running RGS, one problem, this thing isn't going to make it out of testing unless I can "manage" them in a sane way.

It sure would be nice to have a VMware View client that supported RGS.

Chris

0 Kudos
IGGS
Contributor
Contributor

View 3.1 will support RGS. 3.1 is due out very soon. Hit you VMware rep for more details and a NDA session if needed.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
chrislm2600
Contributor
Contributor

anyone know when this is due out?

0 Kudos
reccles
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4rPs84-FgY

Speak to your Wyse contact for more information.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

3.1 is out now!

0 Kudos
randyf25
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

According to the release notes View 3.1 still does not support an RGS connection to anything except HP hardware on the backend. I am going to be testing it when HP sends me some TC's to test but that's not a promising statement.

I am in the process of testing the Wyse updates for Flash but they seem to not want to work on my V10L with a connection to View 3.0.1 broker. Oh well. The joys of this technology I suppose.

0 Kudos
TAFVMWare
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi James,

We are running View 3.0.1 and are able to play video using View on our HP t5730 and Dell FX160s thin clients. As long as you are using a video format supported by Views MMR (multimedia redirection) and you are using an MMR compatible mediaplayer like Windows media player then video runs very well. View 3.0.1 still doesn't support Flash video but that I believe has been added in 3.1. I haven't tested this yet. We have Safari video servers that our staff and students can stream video from. This is working really well as well as non-flash video from the web. Before we used View, RDP was very laggy.

I hope this helps,

Ty

0 Kudos