VMware Horizon Community
ultimit
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

View Client Mac | Disk and printer redirection

Within VMware View i've created a Terminal Server Pool.

I want my OSx clients to connect to this pool using the VMware View client.

The View client uses RDC to start a session. It connects through 127.0.0.1:random port

Correct me if i'm wrong?

I want disk and (all) printers to be redirected to the View session.

The nasty thing is that I can make these settings, but only for a specific connection.

Since the View Client is creating random sessions these settings are useless.

Everytime only one printer and no disks are redirected.

<hr>

How can I redirect all printers and local drives using the VMware View client to connect to a Terminal Server Pool?

Any help is more than welcome!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I found this on the site, http://www.cob.unt.edu/lab/virtuallab.php#macfiles.

Mac users of VMware View may find that they cannot see their local drives inside of a VMware View session. To enable viewing of local drives follow these steps.

WARNING: This procedure should only be attempted by experienced users who are thoroughly familiar with their Mac.

1. Open the Applications folder on your Mac (or wherever you installed the VMware View Client).
  2. Right-click (or Ctrl-Click) on the VMware View Client application and select Show Package Contents from the context menu.
  3. Finder will now show you the contents of the application. In this new window open the Contents folder, then open the Resources folder.
  4. In the Resources folder, you'll see a file named vmware-view.rdp. This is the template the View Client uses to generate new RDP connections. By modifying this file, you can modify the behavior of the RDP sessions that View creates.
  5. Open the vmware-view.rdp file in a text editor and edit the entry for DriveRedirectionMode, changing its value from 0 to 1.
  6. Save the changes, you will most likely be prompted for authentication from your Mac (because you are modifying the contents of an application in the Applications folder).

The next time you start the VMware View client on your Mac your local drives will be available inside VMware View. You will see a security warning at each connect about sharing your Mac drives to potential Windows users. Also note that any USB connected drives need to be connected to your Mac before starting VMware View for them to be visible.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I found this on the site, http://www.cob.unt.edu/lab/virtuallab.php#macfiles.

Mac users of VMware View may find that they cannot see their local drives inside of a VMware View session. To enable viewing of local drives follow these steps.

WARNING: This procedure should only be attempted by experienced users who are thoroughly familiar with their Mac.

1. Open the Applications folder on your Mac (or wherever you installed the VMware View Client).
  2. Right-click (or Ctrl-Click) on the VMware View Client application and select Show Package Contents from the context menu.
  3. Finder will now show you the contents of the application. In this new window open the Contents folder, then open the Resources folder.
  4. In the Resources folder, you'll see a file named vmware-view.rdp. This is the template the View Client uses to generate new RDP connections. By modifying this file, you can modify the behavior of the RDP sessions that View creates.
  5. Open the vmware-view.rdp file in a text editor and edit the entry for DriveRedirectionMode, changing its value from 0 to 1.
  6. Save the changes, you will most likely be prompted for authentication from your Mac (because you are modifying the contents of an application in the Applications folder).

The next time you start the VMware View client on your Mac your local drives will be available inside VMware View. You will see a security warning at each connect about sharing your Mac drives to potential Windows users. Also note that any USB connected drives need to be connected to your Mac before starting VMware View for them to be visible.

0 Kudos
ultimit
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After adding these lines also to the default rdp everything works like a charme Smiley Happy

<key>PrinterRedirection</key>
<true/>
<key>RedirectPrinter</key>
<string>all</string>

http://blog.scottlowe.org/2011/06/22/rdp-printer-redirection-with-vmware-view-on-a-mac/

0 Kudos