VMware Horizon Community
TheTer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

View Client 4, occasionally prompts a second time for a user's credentials

We are using Dell Thin Clients with XP SP3 Embedded. About 1 out of 15-20 times, after inputting a user's login name and password into the View client, it will start the Virtual Desktop, and then ask for the credentials again. The domain will be there, but the username and password will be blank. It is annoying because, the window will pop up and say hit "CrtlAltDel", which you can't do. You actually have to hit CtrlAltIns. This gets our user community confused when it happens. This began to appear when we implemented "resource pools", and was happening about 20-25% of the time on login. We got rid of the resource pools, and not it is only a few times a day, but still annoying. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Teschmi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

The solution is to disable the windows logon screensaver, in others words disable the "default user" screensaver. That will not affect the current user screensaver.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=927588...

In my case the user screensaver is configured by global policies (with password protect) and the "default user" screensaver is disable by registry hack.

That solved my problem.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
40 Replies
RobBeekmans
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

I have exactly the same issue as you describe.

users are prompted with the Windows log-on screen after they successfully authenticated with the connection server.

I've been busy with this for a few weeks now, the log files have been examined but nothing has come from this so far.

at first I thought the user log-off process isn't finished and that's why it goes wrong but that's not the case.

If I find something I'll let you know....

greetings

Rob

0 Kudos
TheTer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We have upgraded to the newest view client, but I still got the issue one time in testing. We are going to try deleting and re-creating some desktop pools to see if that helps.

0 Kudos
RobBeekmans
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Done that also.

We've been running the latest version of the view client.

I'm gone open a call on Monday with VMware to get this solved.

I'm sure by now it's some kind of bug.

Keep you posted.

0 Kudos
TheTer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ditto.....upgrading the client and recreating the desktop pools did not help with the issue. We have 2 domains and I did notice that sometimes the domain name is set to the wrong domain, even thought the user logged into the correct domain. By chance, are you using mulitple domains also?

0 Kudos
mholgate
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am getting the exact same issue. For me it's just a minor annoyance as we are still in the testing phase. We are using just one domain and getting this issue.

Mike... VM, Virtually!!

Mike... VM, Virtually!!
0 Kudos
RobBeekmans
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

we're using one domain here.

While looking at the log file I noticed one line that keep reoccurring at the moment it goes wrong.

"Not authenticated, requesting login page for windows-password"

could you check if this also the case for you?

The process is:

Attempting to authenticate against windows-password

Attempting authentication against AD

Attempting to authenticate user 'user1' in domain 'Domain1' ( I left the real names out)

When it goes wrong the last line changes to

Not authenticated, requesting login page for windows-password

hope to hear from you guys if you experiencing the same.

I've opened a SR call to investigate this

greetz

Rob

0 Kudos
TheTer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Rob

How and where are you checking these logs? local client, connect server??

Ter

0 Kudos
RobBeekmans
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

We're checking the logs mostly on the connection server.

I've also created logs on the view client and in the VDI agent.

The entry I was talking about was from the connection server, the log file was named \vdm-sdct\vdm-sdct-20100712-1547\vdm-logs\debug......log

Greetz

Rob

0 Kudos
Joxster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Total shot in the dark but have you guys enabled the Group Policy to tell windows to Wait for the network to become live before logging in? As I have a feeling your problem is to do with cached login and telling windows to wait for a live network connection should resolve that problem so if you haven't enabled it give it a try?

As I say could be way off but hay Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
RobBeekmans
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Joxster,

Thanks for the shot in the dark, any idea is welcome.

The fact is that I've disabled this GPO because it was slowing down the logon process for users.

Without this GPO settings they logon in 2 seconds and with it, it takes over 15 seconds.

Of course your suggestion is interesting enough to change the setting and see what it does.

We're still in a pre-production fase with the customer project so no harm done.

Thanks again, keep them coming...

Greetz

Rob

0 Kudos
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

try this, disable any screen savers on the VM and see if that helps. i had a problem like this and i think this is how i fixed it.

just use the screen saver for the thin client only.

Stephen

0 Kudos
TheTer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Stephen

I will try this the next opportunity that I have to re-clone one of our desktop pools (hopefully is a couple of days). Thanks for the tip.

Ter

0 Kudos
TheTer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just implemented a policy that disables the screensaver. So far, so good. I need to keep checking with our students to see if the issue has completely gone away, or if this policy only helps a little.

0 Kudos
TheTer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Disabling the screensaver on the virtual desktops did not work. We just got the double login 3 times today. It was worth a try.

0 Kudos
TheTer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

any luck with the VMware tech support call on this issue?

0 Kudos
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

is the view agent up to date?

0 Kudos
RobBeekmans
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We also tried it today, looked promising at first but didn't work.

Nice try.

VMware is investigating the issue. They found something.

08:14:32,146 INFO Session CONNECTED non-portal user: id=0, user VHL-VDI-002\Administrator, client=(null)

08:16:51,394 DEBUG Rpci: Sending request='machine.id.get '

08:16:51,394 DEBUG Rpci: Sent request='machine.id.get ', reply='No machine id', len=13, status=0

08:19:51,392 DEBUG Rpci: Sending request='machine.id.get '

08:19:51,392 DEBUG Rpci: Sent request='machine.id.get ', reply='No machine id', len=13, status=0

08:20:06,002 INFO Message is STARTUP

08:20:06,002 INFO [] java bridge exe started ok.

They're working on it together with us.

0 Kudos
RobBeekmans
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You were faster then me, like I said they're working on it.

There's almost daily contact about logs they want.

Last thing I heard is that they want a webex to investigate more.

They asked us to build a pool of one desktop and if we get the error call them.

0 Kudos
RobBeekmans
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sure is, it's the 233023 version.

0 Kudos