VMware Horizon Community
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

View Application Pools and Licensing

Just curious if anyone can shed some light on this subject. We are planning to setup a Term Server to push out some APPS and we really like the APP Pools that View provides vs the regular RDP session with Microsoft.  The question we have is about licensing.  Does each user that logs into that TERM server via View client require a concurrent license or just a MS CAL license??  To me it doesn't make sense to have to buy a VMWARE license and a MS license.  But that's just me.  Any insight to this is appreciated.  Thanks.

Perry

Thank you, Perry
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PCTechStream
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

VMware licenses are totally different from Microsoft licenses and they apply in different ways to different technologies. At this point you don't have to really worry about WMware licenses, 60 concurrent user licenses for View 7 I believe are enough. On the other hand, Microsoft seems to operate in a different way, so what you possibly need is 25 more license for users connecting to the RD Session Host server to access the application.

EXAMPLE:

"A. Per User licensing mode requires that each user account connecting to this RD Session Host server have an RDS Per User CAL.

RDS Per User CAL gives one user the right to access a RD Session Host server from an unlimited number of client computers or devices. RDS Per User CALs are not enforced by RD Licensing. As a result, client connections can occur regardless of the number of RDS Per User CALs installed on the license server. So with 60 concurrent user licenses for View 7 - you're fine.

When a user connects to TS it consumes a user CAL - There is no way to revoke a per user CAL. So to answer your question - you buy 75 CALS and 75 users can concurrently work on the Terminal Server and be happy. Let's say one of the 75 happy users decides to quit your organization. You remove them from AD and do all the proper cleanup. The next am, his/her replacement connects to TS and cannot logon because you are using per user licensing. When you run a report you will see that these CALS are assigned to users and are valid for a period of time before once again being able to be issued."

Honestly, I am not a license expert, what I telling you right now is just from my work experience, you should contact VMware & Microsoft License products, programs and pricing dept to get more info and a full quote.

Raul.

VMware VDI Administrator.

http://ITCloudStream.com/

Smiley Happy Stay Connected: Like > Share > Comment > Reply > Helpful > Answered

www.ITSA.Cloud

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
PCTechStream
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

"VMware Horizon 7 Remote Desktop licensing mode (Per User or Per Device)

Remote Desktop Services client access license (RDS CAL) is required to connect to RD Session Host server

A. Per User licensing mode requires that each user account connecting to this RD Session Host server have an RDS Per User CAL.

B. Per Device licensing mode requires that each device connecting to this RD Session Host server have an RDS Per Device CAL.

ENABLE:

If you enable this policy setting, the licensing mode that you specify takes precedence over the licensing mode that is specified during the installation of Remote Desktop Session Host or specified in the Remote Desktop Session Host Configuration tool.

DISABLE

If you disable or do not configure this policy setting, the licensing mode that is specified during the installation of Remote Desktop Session Host role service or specified in the Remote Desktop Session Host Configuration tool is used."

Most likely you will need:

* VMware vSphere / vCenter / ESXi / Horizon View licenses.

* Remote Desktop Licensing (RD Licensing), formerly Terminal Services Licensing (TS Licensing)

For More Info: LINK: Documentation for VMware Horizon 7 version 7.0

Raul.

Stay Connected: Like > Share > Comment > Reply > Helpful > Answered

www.ITSA.Cloud
0 Kudos
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Just to clarify the whole thing.  Are you telling me that i will require a view license (for each person connecting with a client) and a MS RDS Cal for every connection?? 

Currently we have 60 concurrent user licenses for View 7.  we normally have about 50 concurrent user connected at once.  We have acquired another Physicians Clinic and we will have about 25 more users connecting to just that application pool we have setup.  So, 25 more users but just connecting to that RDS server for one application.  Will i need to buy 25 more View licenses??    Thanks for the reply. i really appreciate it.  A lot of people hate talking about licensing including MS and VMware. 

Thank you, Perry
0 Kudos
PCTechStream
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

VMware licenses are totally different from Microsoft licenses and they apply in different ways to different technologies. At this point you don't have to really worry about WMware licenses, 60 concurrent user licenses for View 7 I believe are enough. On the other hand, Microsoft seems to operate in a different way, so what you possibly need is 25 more license for users connecting to the RD Session Host server to access the application.

EXAMPLE:

"A. Per User licensing mode requires that each user account connecting to this RD Session Host server have an RDS Per User CAL.

RDS Per User CAL gives one user the right to access a RD Session Host server from an unlimited number of client computers or devices. RDS Per User CALs are not enforced by RD Licensing. As a result, client connections can occur regardless of the number of RDS Per User CALs installed on the license server. So with 60 concurrent user licenses for View 7 - you're fine.

When a user connects to TS it consumes a user CAL - There is no way to revoke a per user CAL. So to answer your question - you buy 75 CALS and 75 users can concurrently work on the Terminal Server and be happy. Let's say one of the 75 happy users decides to quit your organization. You remove them from AD and do all the proper cleanup. The next am, his/her replacement connects to TS and cannot logon because you are using per user licensing. When you run a report you will see that these CALS are assigned to users and are valid for a period of time before once again being able to be issued."

Honestly, I am not a license expert, what I telling you right now is just from my work experience, you should contact VMware & Microsoft License products, programs and pricing dept to get more info and a full quote.

Raul.

Smiley Happy Stay Connected: Like > Share > Comment > Reply > Helpful > Answered

www.ITSA.Cloud
0 Kudos
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

totally understand what you are saying just wass't sure if extra V Mare licenses were needed.  We have teh right amount of RDS CALS that we need.  Just wans't sure about View.  Thanks for the help!!!

Thank you, Perry