VMware Horizon Community
AUPhil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

View Agent XP SP3 Requirements - what's needed to successfully install?

Does anyone know what the View Agent (3.1.1) needs in an XP deployment to install without a rollback?

I've been making some incredibly lean XP test VM images with nLite but I cannot seem to find what the absolute minimum requirements that View Agent is looking for in an XP image.

To be clear, these are VMs that start out life as a VM (not converted from a physical machine).

Everytime I have a tiny nLite config I think will work, View Agent shakes its finger and rolls back around the USB file copy section. I thought I corrected it by including all HID options but I'm obviously leaving something out that View Agent needs.

When I am more liberal with including more items, the View Agent install completes and I'm able to provision.

Any ideas on what must be in XP (services/packages/etc) for View Agent?

Thanks,

Phil

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mpryor
Commander
Commander

I don't know the specific requirements for a cutdown image but you might find it helpful to look in the install logs, which should report why it failed to install and did a rollback. The install logs will be saved under the user's temp folder, e.g.:

C:\Documents and Settings\administrator\Local Settings\Temp\vminst.log*

0 Kudos
blong
Contributor
Contributor

I'm dealing with the same issue. I can get everything else to work fine, but the agent just won't install. I've looked at the install file but I can't make heads or tails of it. I know this is common practice as it was presented on by a VMWare person at VMWorld this past year. Somebody has to know the right combo to get this right.

0 Kudos
blong
Contributor
Contributor

After an exhaustive amount of trial and error, I figured out the component that was killing the ability for View Agent 4 to install correctly. It is the NetSH Command Tool under the networking section of the components. I have no clue what this does, or why the Agent needs it, but leaving it gave me a successful install. I am about to start rolling out vm's with this new build, and if I come up with any other issues, I will post them. But so far, so good. Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Good find!

Many thanks for the trial-and-error effort!

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos