VMware Horizon Community
shepnasty
Contributor
Contributor

View Agent 4.5 install fails - The system must be rebooted before installation can continue

I just upgraded to VIEW 4.5 and am now trying to upgrade my agents and am getting this error when I run the installer on an xp VM.

The system must be rebooted before installation can continue

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

If you are simply trying to avoid the boot you can try this command VMware-viewagent-xxx.exe /s /v /q REBOOT="ReallySuppress" found in the KB at this link http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1018787

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

Twitter:

0 Kudos
buckethead
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I am having the same problem and rebooting doesn't fix the problem. The install never gets past the first step before it tells you to reboot.

I also tried to suppress the reboot as outlined in the kb and it never does anything.

This was an XP machine that did have view agent 4.0 on it. The agent has been removed.

0 Kudos
shepnasty
Contributor
Contributor

Reboot did not help, suppression did not work for me either. I had the 3.1.3 agent on it and even uninstalled and reinstalled that agent again but still can't get the 4.5 agent to install. I have tried taking the machine out of any GPO's that would mess with the firewall, cleared the temporary internet files and even ran a registry cleaner tool. It is odd because I have other XP machines that the agent installed just fine. The only difference I can see between this image and the others is this one has Appsense on it. I don't want to create a new image but may be forced to in order to find the issue.

0 Kudos
shepnasty
Contributor
Contributor

I figured it out. I tried to uninstall SEP and that didn't help. So I went ahead and uninstalled Appsense and after a reboot was able to upgrade.

0 Kudos
dfruscoloni
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem, both on winXP and win7 32bit. I uninstalled all applications and the problem was not solved.

Then I activated the log switch in the installer ( /l "c:\log.txt") and I could see the installer checking the "msisystemrebootpending" variable an it was set 1.

Checking in the internet the variable depends on some registry settings, in my case cleaning this key solved the problem :

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PendingFileRename

other keys that you could check :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\RebootRequired

0 Kudos
cmoon
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, deleting the following registry key works for me,

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations

Thanks. Carlos Luna.

0 Kudos
BArvidson
Contributor
Contributor

Good call Carlos!

I was having the same problem, but did not have AppSense installed, deleting the key you referenced worked for me.

Was upgrading the 4.5.0-277452 (beta agent) to the 4.5.0-293049 agent (GA).

Brian J Arvidson

Solutions Architect

VMware Certified Professional

Brian J Arvidson Solutions Architect VMware Certified Professional
0 Kudos
lb1980
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem. I also did not have Appsense installed. This was a clean Windows 7 install.

I deleted HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations and everything started working.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

They seemed to have finally created a KB article for this.   http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1029288

0 Kudos