If you are simply trying to avoid the boot you can try this command VMware-viewagent-xxx.exe /s /v /q REBOOT="ReallySuppress" found in the KB at this link http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1018787
If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points
I am having the same problem and rebooting doesn't fix the problem. The install never gets past the first step before it tells you to reboot.
I also tried to suppress the reboot as outlined in the kb and it never does anything.
This was an XP machine that did have view agent 4.0 on it. The agent has been removed.
Reboot did not help, suppression did not work for me either. I had the 3.1.3 agent on it and even uninstalled and reinstalled that agent again but still can't get the 4.5 agent to install. I have tried taking the machine out of any GPO's that would mess with the firewall, cleared the temporary internet files and even ran a registry cleaner tool. It is odd because I have other XP machines that the agent installed just fine. The only difference I can see between this image and the others is this one has Appsense on it. I don't want to create a new image but may be forced to in order to find the issue.
I had the same problem, both on winXP and win7 32bit. I uninstalled all applications and the problem was not solved.
Then I activated the log switch in the installer ( /l "c:\log.txt") and I could see the installer checking the "msisystemrebootpending" variable an it was set 1.
Checking in the internet the variable depends on some registry settings, in my case cleaning this key solved the problem :
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PendingFileRename
other keys that you could check :
Good call Carlos!
I was having the same problem, but did not have AppSense installed, deleting the key you referenced worked for me.
Was upgrading the 4.5.0-277452 (beta agent) to the 4.5.0-293049 agent (GA).
Brian J Arvidson
VMware Certified Professional
I had the same problem. I also did not have Appsense installed. This was a clean Windows 7 install.
I deleted HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations and everything started working.