VMware Horizon Community
napstone
Contributor
Contributor

View Add Desktop - Active Directory Host Unreachable

Hi.

I have a test setup with a AD Win2008, vCenter Win2008 x64 (with 32bit database for vCenter and 64bit for the composer) and View Win2003 x86. Everything seems to work great, until I try to add a desktop to an Automated Desktop Pool, non-persistent. The Parent VM is a Windows7, member of the domain, turned off and took snapshop for composer deployment.

Windows 7 machine is then turned on again and I try to create an Automated Pool. Everything looks good until I click finish. Then it say "Active Directory Host Unreachable" in the top.

Use

vCenter 4 U1

ESX 4.0 U1

View 4.0.1

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Have you tried this with a Windows XP VM? What about having The Windows 7 machine powered down when creating the pool? Make sure to verify that DNS is functioning correctly for the View environment.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
vRajan
Contributor
Contributor

hi napstone,

I have got same problem, but I overcome by adding DNS entry.

This seems to be a problem with "quickprep domain" when you deploy the desktop from view manager. This is an issue with DNS query.

Make sure that your domain controller (DC) is available and you can ping the DC from view manager. (ping DC.daminname.local)

If you cant ping the DC, set up an DNS forwarders entry in the DNS server. Right click DNS server, select properties, select forwarders tab.

For example if your DC is 'admin.domainname.local', add entry to the DNS forwarders as domainname.local and specify IP address (means IP of Active Directory) to reach DC. After setting up this entry, try to ping DC from view manager. If ping successful, Deploy the virtual desktop from view manager.

Hope this will help.

Thanks

Rajan

0 Kudos
napstone
Contributor
Contributor

Hey guys...

Thanks for both answers, but the problem is that it works some times, and sometimes not.

So i.e. when a student logs out of the machine it is suppos to delete it self and recreate a new, it cannot find the DC. I can still ping the DC when this error occur. Kinda strange.

But I'll try to find out why..

Regards

0 Kudos
porpoise77
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone figure this out? I'm getting this error now, though it worked yesterday. I can ping the DC just fine and there are no DNS issues. Looks like I'm putting in a ticket with VMware.

0 Kudos
romatlo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am having the same problem, but started happening only after I upgraded to 4.6.

Still working on trying to fix it...do not want to start over.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

If it just happends sometimes then check that all your DC:s actually are serving requests.

I have run into this a few times at some larger customers where there have been lots of changes and the dns not cleaned up when DC:s are removed.

At least triplecheck that the DNS is working properly and are uptodate, have spend more time then I wished in troubleshooting View when it actually was DNS-problems.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
JohnVUB
Contributor
Contributor

ye, well, i'm having this problem too (used to have it with 4.5, now with view 5).

I a way I have the feeling that it is the ADAM directory that is blocking, not the domain AD.

Why?

Caus I get this error induced by a bad 'delete pool'-operation where I end up removing the linked clones manually (using the KB article).

The linked clones where removed with sviconfig on VC, AD entries deleted in map computers on DC, ADSI edit on view mgr srv to remove linked clones in dc=Servers.

The pool etnry deletes itself after all machines entries are gone.

retrying to create a new pool ends up with 'Active Directory Host Unreachable'

Any ideas? I'm sure my dns and DC (+DC2) are working fine. (dcdiag)

0 Kudos