VMware Horizon Community
sleeperagent2
Contributor
Contributor

View 7 HA layout question

Hi,

We are setting up View 7 with keeping fail over and HA our main priority in our design we have ran into an issue.

We have two data centers have the following set up in each one.

1 PSC

1 vCenter appliance

10 esxi host

2 connection servers

1 Composer Server

1 Persona Server (DFS to the other site)

We are going to use the Cloud POD option.

We have a virtual IP address to load balance the 2 connection servers at each site together. However were are trying to figure out how to tie all 4 (two connection servers at each site together).

For example....DC01 has view01 and view03 tied to a vIP, DC02 has view04 and view06 to a vIP.... are we able to make yet another VIP that ties those two vIP's together?

We want to do this so that we can point our zero clients at one address and the user can get to what ever home site we set.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

See if Cloud POD Architecture addresses your requirements.

Mark

0 Kudos
six4rm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi sleeperagent2

I'm architecting a similar solution for my company utilising two data centres with a Horizon View pod in each. I originally thought about using virtual load balancers to maintain a single namespace with Cloud Pod Architecture enabled within View to broker connections across both sites. Although this offers the greatest functionality and availability it adds an extra level of complexity in the configuration and management of the load balancers, not to mention additional cost. This has led me to think that simple DNS Round Robin will suffice in my environment.

I need the single namespace, which DNS RR delivers, but I don't need the full HA features that an application aware load balancer offers. Providing the user is sent to a Connection Server in either pod, it doesn't matter if their desktop resides in the other site as View will broker the connection accordingly. If we have a site failure I can manually remove that DNS entry. I'm gong to utilise two Connection Servers at each site with Windows NLB configured for additional redundancy.

For example:

Pod A

CS1 - 10.10.1.1

CS2 - 10.10.1.2

NLB - 10.10.1.10

Pod B

CS1 - 10.20.1.1

CS2 - 10.20.1.2

NLB - 10.20.1.10

DNS A Records

view.domain.com - 10.10.1.10

view.domain.com - 10.20.1.10