VMware Horizon Community
Markus1310
Contributor
Contributor

View 7.4 generate a replica timeout problem

Unfortunately, we still could not solve the production-preventing problem. Various activities, such as Switch VAAI off and on, update HBA driver according to VMware recommendation, ACT Heartbeat off and on, etc. have so far unfortunately not brought any success.

The last piece of knowledge we've learned is that if you recompose to two disks in the View 7.4 / ESX 6.5 environment, one LUN gets a high write rate (about 120mb / s), while the second LUN gets 13mb / s dulls itself and this value also does not increase when the performant LUN has finished writing.

We have now determined comparative values ​​in the "old" environment under View 6.2.3 / ESX 5.5 and were able to detect a parallel write rate of approx. 50 mb / s in two recorders at the same time. Therefore, the replica files are also finished relatively at the same time and we do not get a timeout.

Can you explain the phenomenon of different writing rates? Can it be that the View Composer is responsible for this and there is the problem to look for? The assumption comes from the fact that VAAI is used in a clone of a machine and here View is out, whereas in a recompose no VAAI is used. Why?

Sorry for my bed english

2 Replies
TechMassey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Based on the description, I am guessing you have the pool configured to store the replica in a separate datastore. That is the cause of these types of issues and it seems to affect customers randomly. The issue should go away if you choose to not separate the replica.

That is not the ideal solution but it lets you function while you continue to work on it as time permits.

Please help out! If you find this post helpful and/or the correct answer. Mark it! It helps recgonize contributions to the VMTN community and well me too 🙂
0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

We experienced something similar when we had our pools set to store the replicas with the linked clones and had multiples selected. This was with the parent's and replica on two different storage arrays so VAAI was not leveraged. We've since switched to a dedicated replica datastore and see improved replica creation times.