VMware Horizon Community
NoDowt
Contributor
Contributor

View 6.x connection server on Windows Server 2016?

Hi All,

I need to migrate our existing View 6.2.1 connection server to a new AD domain, so rather than just migrating we're looking at building a new server, settings as replica & then decommissioning the server in old AD domain.

However I've hit a speed bump in that is seems View 6.2.1 isn't supported on Windows Server 2016. The goal will be to upgrade to View 7.x in the near future, however we need to move to the new domain first. Seems a shame to build a 2012 server now just for this...

Any idea's on the best way to handle this? Has anyone tested View 6.x on Server 2016? Will it work (like most things do) although not officially supported?

Cheers

Jason

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Horizon View 6.x goes end of support on 2019/06/19 so I would advise prioritizing that upgrade. I would upgrade your existing environment to the latest 7.x releases. Then build new connection servers running Server 2016 with the latest 7.x release and decommission your older servers.

https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/support/product-lifecycle-matrix.p...

0 Kudos
NoDowt
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately we don't have resources available to upgrade to 7.x right away due to the extra testing & sign off required, and the old domain is being decommissioned soon... So this part needs to happen first.

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

No version of Horizon 6.x support Server 2016. You either need to upgrade to 7.x or stick with one of the supported server OS.

Supported Operating Systems for View Connection Server

Operating System Support for View Connection Server

Operating System

Version

Edition

Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1

64-bit

Standard

Enterprise

Datacenter

Windows Server 2012 R2

64-bit