VMware Horizon Community
Moeyyy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

View 6 not supporting Server 2012 as a host OS for Connection Server

So I am doing some prep work for a View 6.0 upgrade (coming from 5.3).  After skimming the documentation on supported OS for Connection Servers, I notice that Server 2012 is not supported, but Server 2012 R2 is.

I can get it to install by "troubleshooting compatibility" for the installer, but I rather not run an "unsupported" setup in production.

Anyone know the reasoning/logic behind this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Most customers are using the R2 versions, thats the basic reason.

The smaller support matrix, the faster we can do proper QA on the targeted OS-versions and that means that we can get the software out faster.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Most customers are using the R2 versions, thats the basic reason.

The smaller support matrix, the faster we can do proper QA on the targeted OS-versions and that means that we can get the software out faster.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
Moeyyy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That is a pretty crappy reason in my opinion.  If I were licensed to deploy 2012 R2 I would, but with 2012 Datacenter licenses and no SA, its either 2008R2 or 2012 for me.

And if anyone is wondering, 5.3 and 6.0 run fine on top of 2012.  Hopefully within the next few patches they will decide to support 2012.

0 Kudos
acoustix
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I agree that this is a very crappy reason.  Many of us Microsoft customers bought 2012 Datacenter licenses before Microsoft changed their license structure for the worse.  I have no plans or room in my budget to relicense to 2012 R2. 

I have never seen a major software company jump support for a major OS release like this before.  Never.

0 Kudos