VMware Horizon Community
RBeat123
Contributor
Contributor

View 6.1 / Lync 2010 / Zero Client

Hi,

We are successfully using View 6.1 / Lync 2010 and Teradici Zero clients in a Windows 7 floating linked clone environment.

We need to use IM, audio and video - no telephony integration required.

This is working ok (a few problems with mic and speaker levels but we are tuning this.

My question is around the bandwidth requirements noting we are using zero client and not thin clients.

Audio and video traffic will originate from the zero client and go via the data centre (VDI home) rather than peer to peer.

I understand this but would like to understand it better Smiley Happy.

Does anyone have experience of this scenario and possible restrictions on video quality at the source using either the Teradici Management Console or the Windows group policy RTAV options?

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
eyesonlyone
Contributor
Contributor

As far as i know, zero-clients do not support RTAV. So the full video stream has to be  transferred via usb redirection which is really slow (20-30Mbit/s i think)...

0 Kudos
dwigz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That is correct.  You need windows based systems for RTAV and you will also want to install the Microsoft Lync VDI Plugin if it is not by default.  The Lync VDI client on the windows client system needs to be the same bit level as the version of Lync you are using on your virtual desktops I believe too.  Bummer but if need video, you will want to look at Thin Clients instead of 0's.

0 Kudos