VMware Horizon Community
jimmycartrette
Contributor
Contributor

View 6.0.0 here - Solution for when user reboots don't succeed

I have a re-occurring problem with my users, where they attempt a reboot and it doesn't succeed. Then next time they attempt a login, the agent refuses with no machines available. We have persistent desktops.

Typically, it sticks at a screen where a user has chosen to reboot, but has not saved a file. First here is an entry in the windows system log:

The process explorer.exe has initiated the power off of computer COMPUTERNAME on behalf of user USERNAME for the following reason: Other(unplanned) (11:19:34)

Then here is a typical entry in the windows application log:

(Winsrv) The following application attempted to veto the shutdown: Acrobat.exe. (11:19:35)

Then it stays in the prompt screen, the user can't log back in. They call us, our helpdesk either gentle reboots or force reboots.

What's your solution to this?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dmmcsherry
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

User education is your best bet here. To my knowledge there isn't much you can do other than to educate users that they need close everything before logging off or restarting.

The one thing you could do is to allow the users to reset their own desktops from the horizon client so they do not have to contact the helpdesk. This can be changed in the pool settings.

2016-04-15 08_58_01-.png

This will do a force reboot however, so if users do it multiple times, they could send the system into startup repair.

0 Kudos
erickbm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

These registry keys will force the closing of open applications. I had to post this just so I would have quick reference to it in the future. Import these registry keys into your golden image and say goodbye to desktops that won’t shut down. When I say shut down you say HOW FAST. That’s right.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop]
“AutoEndTasks”=”1″

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control]
“WaitToKillServiceTimeout”=”1000″

Quoted from https://elgwhoppo.com/2014/12/16/vmware-view-windows-7-desktop-hanging-on-shutdown-doesnt-close-apps...

Erick Marshall vExpert 15/16, VCAP-DTA, VCPx3, MCSE, MCITPx2, MCSAx2, MCTSx3, MCPx2, A+, Network+, UCP
0 Kudos