VMware Horizon Community
nology
Contributor
Contributor

View 5 client to connect to terminal server printing issues

I was hoping someone could shed some light on printing issue I am having. 

I am trying to get printing to work in a vmware view 5 environment with a 2008 terminal server as a backend.

Using the View client to remote into a 2008 R2 server in a Vmware view pool.

I couldn't get printing to work at all until I set printer redirection to True in the registery.  But even with that sometimes it work sometimes it doesn't

Any insight would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Can you go into details on what was happening and if you were receiving any errors or not.  

0 Kudos
nology
Contributor
Contributor

Sure,   pretty simple really just wanted to try out the Remote desktop services in 2008 R2 as a back end instead of windows 7.  Using a view front end and setting up a terminal server pool in view manager.  I can remote in to the TServer just fine using the view client but printing just plain doesn't work.  I've seen on other posts that you have to edit the registry on each end device that has the view client installed so it doesn't use thin print and just does RDC printer redirection.  Is this true?  Seem like a hack.  View says it can create pools with terminal servers "RDS" but printing from the view client seems to really have issues.  I've got it to work when I did the reg hack and then all the printers say "redirected" on the terminal session but even then sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't .  It appears that printing redirect with pciop doesn't work when going to a TS view the view client.  I know in this way its RDC and not pcoip.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

So with TS you can't utilize PCOIP and you used to not be able to use THinprint, though I'm not sure if that has changed in 5.0.      This means your using RDP printer redirection which I assume is the registry key you enabled.

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2013417

0 Kudos
nology
Contributor
Contributor

Correct with TS as the desktop its just RDP.  I just feel that the default setup with a view client you should be able to print.  I tried disabling tp print services on the TS server as I don't want to do the reg hack on ever end workstation that has the view client installed. Seems like I am better off using RDC to login as opposed to the view client

0 Kudos